Ms 251 vs ms261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-Cigar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I do medium wood cutting. Felling and bucking. I use stihl ms 261 as my main saw. Just got rid of my ms 170 which was my limbing saw. Debating whether to get the 251 for limbing if just get another 261.

Use your 261 as the limbing saw, and get something bigger like a 362c as your main saw.

Or if the 261 is big enough then I also vote a ms250 for limbing.

O25's have held up very well for me for many years. 1 that got stolen, 1 where i worked 10 years,1 i replaced the stolen 1 with to this day. Have an 023 now with a 14in bar also , feels very close to the 025. I had and have a few ms250's for fix & resale. Muffler seems to choke a fair amount of the power until you open it up and adj the carb. These saws feel truly light weight to me. Cut reasonably fast and peppy and don't wear me out using them long hours or its like taking a break when running a tank through the 025 when i am mostly running big saws. Unlike the 201 and some other alternatives they are inexpensive should they be stolen or lost in an accident. I have and like a lot of saws, my 025 is 1 i wouldn't want to not have especially as i am getting oldish.
Ms251 feels more like an midweight saw to me and so far i have found them more difficult to work on.

Back