MS 260 suddenly hard to start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joey,
I have developed alot of respect for Stihltech because I have come to believe him when he says he fixes problems rather than just masking them or telling the customer that "they`re all like that". He is the atypical dealer, especially of Stihl products, and an excellent role model. If you share the same credo, you are going to be a very welcome addition to the site.

Russ

I have a few belifes when it comes to running my business.....first off give excellent customer service now matter what. Second off fix it right the first time.

I don't consider myself a parts changer.......I diagnose the problem and fix it. That is what I am in business for is fixing chainsaws, not changing parts and hoping it works.

I have high standards and I treat each and every person that walks in the door with the utmost respect whether they buy anything from me or not. Thats just the way I am.

Dang,
I am just a parts changer trying to make my car payment, and
I get kickback from my sparkplug sales. That is the way I do
business and am dammnn proud of it!

The customer is usually wrong, and I am not shy about
reminding them of that fact! They must be kept in line, or they
get uppity. Since I am the only Stihl dealer in the county, they
have little choice but to fall in line, as they cannot shop online.
A Stihl dealer must rule with an iron fist, as these woodticks only
respect strength, and trying to please them only shows
weakness and fear, which they can sense, and will rip a novice
dealer to shreds.
But I digress..........

Originally posted by Fish
Dang,
I am just a parts changer trying to make my car payment, and
I get kickback from my sparkplug sales. That is the way I do
business and am dammnn proud of it!

The customer is usually wrong, and I am not shy about
reminding them of that fact! They must be kept in line, or they
get uppity. Since I am the only Stihl dealer in the county, they
have little choice but to fall in line, as they cannot shop online.
A Stihl dealer must rule with an iron fist, as these woodticks only
respect strength, and trying to please them only shows
weakness and fear, which they can sense, and will rip a novice
dealer to shreds.
But I digress..........

Hmm I smell sarcasm and I am not sure if I like it.

Originally posted by Joey P
I have a few belifes when it comes to running my business.....first off give excellent customer service now matter what. Second off fix it right the first time.

I don't consider myself a parts changer.......I diagnose the problem and fix it. That is what I am in business for is fixing chainsaws, not changing parts and hoping it works.

I have high standards and I treat each and every person that walks in the door with the utmost respect whether they buy anything from me or not. Thats just the way I am.

Hey Joey,
I walked through your door, figuratively speaking, with my question about adjusting a fixed jet saw in ten minutes, but you ignored me.
I was looking forward to some kind of comment, I mean, other than how sore your arm is from reaching around and patting yourself on the back.:p

AMEN FISH!

Joey, you aren`t so uptight that you can`t enjoy a little sarcasm are you? Your Stihl servicing(tongue firmly in cheek) dealer only, OEM undies just a little too tight? This is an adult playpen so check any insecurities at the door.

Rocky, the answer to this whole debate has been provided by none other than Stihl themselves. They finally realized what POS the non-adjustable carbs are and are going back to three screw carbs. I gotta admit that I don`t like Joey`s Stihl Gestapo attitude that the owner of a product should not be allowed to adjust it any way they want. Also got wonder how steep the curve is if it takes two years of observation before being released and feeling confident to do this tweak on your own? That couldn`t be exaggeration could it? That`s almost as bad as sarcasm! What is this place coming to?

Must be that I had a few of those Indian Boschs because I had two that clearly had leakage between the base and porcelain. Had an NGK do this also but I did have a guy tell me this was from not running lean enough, that it`s a built in safety feature so that I don`t pollute the atmosphere, LOL. Oddly, any difficulties I`ve encountered with any brand of plug has always been specific to an application. I`ve run them all and have had to learn to only use certain brands in certain machines.

Russ

I guess bill147 is like a neighbors cat. He crept in...crapped...and crept back out.
Without more feedback, we'll not know if any suggestion has helped or not. Sometimes it takes two or more posts to get all the symptoms. Not being able to see and hear the saw run deprives the diagnotsicians of important signs (visual AND auditory cues) placing more dependance on the description of the problem than merely a chief complaint.

not that I'm a diagnostician, but I do prefer swag's to wag's.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I crept in, took a crap, and crept out.

What I would say is that I was out of town taking the kids on a camping trip (Shenandoah Nat'l Park) and did not get a chance to look at all of the great advise (thanks everybody) and do some troubleshooting on Monday.. I took Fish's advice:

Even though the plug looks good, replace it with a new one,
as well as the fuel, as well as check the exhaust for blockage. While in there, look at the piston, and make sure the choke is
fully closing, do the simple checks first, it can save a lot of
aggravation.

I replaced the plug, even though the old plug looked ok and was gapped to spec, and she fired up on the second pull.

Thanks again everyone for the help!!

So who did I start a fight with? I am getting old and addled
minded. Was the lad over 18?
Was he cute?
But I digress...........

I do remember vaguely about my creeping[myrb] in and taking
a crap, but I have been doing that here for a couple of years.
I mean no harm, just doing my job! Joey, you complete me.....

Wow dude you crack me up.......guess I didn't take the sarcasm lightly enough......

"Joey you complete me" LOL

anyway.....you all seem like a good bunch of guys.

Back