MS 270 Ignition problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I some how got this Stihl MS 270. It looks like an OK saw, but it has only run maybe 6 times that I am aware of. It still has the original chain on it. So probably maybe 20 hours on it. My dad brought it to me about 6 years ago because he could not get it to run. So went through the usual items. It would run then as soon as it started to idle would shut off and not start again. Went through about 6 new spark plugs which seemed to help, but would end up with no spark. So went through all of my spare ignition modules which would produce a nice spark, but very difficult to mount with out major modifications. So I went to a Stihl dealer to order a new ignition module they said they had a used unit that would fit for $75, but they said that the carburetor was bad so bought a carb kit. After going through the carb which looked perfect and went back to the dealer and they said something else was wrong with it so left. Went to another dealer and ordered ignition module which took six months to get. Put it in and it produced a nice spark. I ran it about 15 minutes and put it on my saw shelf with the others. Yesterday needed a small saw and tried to start it for 30 minutes with no spark. Took the module off checked the airspace and wiring with no spark still. Was tempted to give it an attitude adjustment with my sledge hammer, but did not have time. Now the MS 280 ignition seems similar so probably will try that route. Anybody else have issues with their MS 270. Thanks

Back