MS 271 Half Choke Start Throttle Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSPHunter0907

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and new to cutting trees. We live on some acreage that is very dense and bought my first chainsaw. I got a Stihl MS 271 (20"Bar, Stihl oil, and bar oil) recently, I have only been using it for limbs and smaller things (less than 5" in diameter) to break in the engine. Now when I start it I pull start on full Choke (About 3 pulls) and hear it turn then go to half choke. When it starts from Half Choke the throttle is going full out at max revs. Once it tap the throttle it will go back down but just seems like it should not be full throttling right when it starts up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

The half choke position holds the throttle engaged a little, which causes the saw to rev up (and the chain to spin if the chain brake is not engaged). It should not go at max throttle, though, like it does if you pin the throttle in the normal run position. Does it do this?

Remember to keep the chain brake on while starting the saw. After starting the saw from the half choke position, you should fairly quickly tap the throttle to get in the normal run position. Disengage the chain brake only after getting to the normal run position. Let the saw warm up in this position before use, not in the half choke position. Rev up the saw in bursts (with the chain brake disengaged) or let it idle for a while on the ground (with the chain brake still engaged)

Good luck with your saw!

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Back