MS 361 Rebuild Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kensie1988

Vintage Saw Maniac
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a MS 361, I ordered a Tecomec Piston and cylinder kit that I will be using for the build, it is Nikasil plated and made in Italy like Meteor, and I know tecomec used to make OEM cylinders for Husky (or maybe it was just heresay).

I have already pulled the cylinder to check if it needed replace, which it did. Is there a method used to clean the Saw while rebuilding it or does it need to be broken down piece by piece and cleaned individually?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I like to use compressed air, then simple green and water to clean the exterior. If you truly want to detail the saw I do not know of any way to do it besides breaking it down. It's not worth it to me considering gunk will be right back in the hard to reach places the first time you use it.

Is the jug in to bad a shape to clean the transfer out of the bore with muriatic acid and scotch bright? I've always had better luck cleaning the oem jug than using aftermarkets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well honestly I'm just learning, I pulled it off and ran my finger across it and it was rough to the touch, still haven't mastered the art of determining whether it's aluminum transfer of scoring in the cylinder, looks like it was carbon that caused the scoring, I will get some pics tomorrow,

Everyone had there first saw at one time and are happy to help with any questions you may have. Take you time amd dont get ahead of yourself too fast. If I come across a machine that needs to be broken in anyway and its a confusing mess of hose and linkages I take pictures before hand. Many of times I saved myself by having pictures of it as it came apart. Good luck.

Try to salvage the oem cylinder first.

As far as cleanup, I do it in stages as the saw comes apart. It should be pretty clean before you pull the jug.

This 026 looked good inside so I just cleaned up and put back together, paid $95 for this one, note the "cleaner" (I needed something that fit the sprayer...). :surprised3:

DSC_0027.JPG I painted the muffler and put it back together. DSC_0033.JPG This saw stihl runs great, put a plug air filter and RS chain on it.

Then there was this freebee 038S that was going to be an 038M, complete saw looked O.K. Inside ex too through muffler, but something was not quite right? Kind of funky turning it over?

038StoMag.jpg Cleaned up all cleaned up.jpg the piston has the "pox" DSC_0026.JPG

The ex
DSC_0027.JPG The intake DSC_0028.JPG

Damm it ate some bearings!!! This one besides eating bearings also has some corrosion in the bottom end, which came first? Well I've got some 038 cranks thanks to B Corrardi, and another Tecomec 038M cylinder........

BTW, the 038 is stihl sitting, not enough time right now.

As far as cleanup, I do it in stages as the saw comes apart. It should be pretty clean before you pull the jug.

This 026 looked good inside so I just cleaned up and put back together, paid $95 for this one, note the "cleaner" (I needed something that fit the sprayer...). :surprised3:

View attachment 596478 I painted the muffler and put it back together. View attachment 596479 This saw stihl runs great, put a plug air filter and RS chain on it.

Then there was this freebee 038S that was going to be an 038M, complete saw looked O.K. Inside ex too through muffler, but something was not quite right? Kind of funky turning it over?

View attachment 596480 Cleaned up View attachment 596481 the piston has the "pox" View attachment 596484

The ex
View attachment 596485 The intake View attachment 596486

Damm it ate some bearings!!! This one besides eating bearings also has some corrosion in the bottom end, which came first? Well I've got some 038 cranks thanks to B Corrardi, and another Tecomec 038M cylinder........

Need a shipping address for that 038? [emoji57]

View attachment 596478 I painted the muffler and put it back together. View attachment 596479 This saw stihl runs great, put a plug air filter and RS chain on it.

View attachment 596480 Cleaned up View attachment 596481 the piston has the "pox" View attachment 596484

The ex
View attachment 596485 The intake View attachment 596486

Well the kit is already ordered so I guess I will be a guinea pig for the Tecomec kit, Meteor only had a ms360 kit that might have worked but didn't know for sure.

I will keep the cylinder and try to salvage it so maybe it can be used in the future.

Look for videos on YT and they will show techniques used to clean up the cylinder.

Look for videos on YT and they will show techniques used to clean up the cylinder.
I sure will when I'm ready to attempt it! For not I will just stick with rebuilding it, I'll snap some photos at lunch and post them to see if anyone had any other explanation for the scoring besides carbon buildup.

Latest posts

Back