MS 362 vs. MS 391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Saw

t3t4 do yourself a favor and try it west coast style. Put a 28" lightweight w/square ground chisel skip on and stand up straight an relax,cut all day and smile. Hell I run a 28 lw on my 026,ms390,ms440 and a 34 on the 064 for stumpin the butt swells and cluster stumps. This is mostly live oak and black oak works well for my fat azz. I dump'em with the 440 then grab the 026 limb'em and buck back the lighter wood, up to about 16-18" then take a long break(fat azz) finish w/440. I don't really need the 390 but always take it out as it was my first Stihl and is still a good back up but will retire it when I find a good 036/360 deal.All my saws are muff modded and 026/064 are ported. Have fun and blow BIG chips Ken

t3t4 do yourself a favor and try it west coast style. Put a 28" lightweight w/square ground chisel skip on and stand up straight an relax,cut all day and smile. Hell I run a 28 lw on my 026,ms390,ms440 and a 34 on the 064 for stumpin the butt swells and cluster stumps. This is mostly live oak and black oak works well for my fat azz. I dump'em with the 440 then grab the 026 limb'em and buck back the lighter wood, up to about 16-18" then take a long break(fat azz) finish w/440. I don't really need the 390 but always take it out as it was my first Stihl and is still a good back up but will retire it when I find a good 036/360 deal.All my saws are muff modded and 026/064 are ported. Have fun and blow BIG chips Ken

:clap::agree2:
I bought a Stumpbroke 372xp to partially replace the MS660 I burned up recently... Being that I needed to do bigger wood, I had Stump spec it out with a 28" B&C combo... Wow! The saw would balance much better with a 20" bar and would probably be perfect with a 24"/25" bar, BUT, running the 28", I can limb on the ground while holding the saw about waist high (I'm 6'2"). I don't mind bending down, but having slipped some discs in my lower back some time ago, they occasionally remind me that I'm not 16 anymore... Those days, the 28" is PERFECT! It's a bit nose heavy, but with a sharp chain, just give her hell and let the forward CG/sharp chain due the cutting. Muscling it is not necessary. :rock:

Thanks Ken,

I miss the 044/440, I miss that power but I do not miss it's weight! I'm quite happy with my 362 after some trigger time. It will do what I need without question, but my fat azz also knows where you're coming from in break time. I can hang for about 2 hrs straight but no more then that! I'd like to have a 260 for limbing, my neighbor has an 025 that he just won't sell to me, but he let's me use it when needed.

I will likely perform a muff mod on my 362, but it's already loud enough and powerful enough (after trigger time) to do what I need. When I get some big and nasty ugly stuff, I'll put a 25" B&C on it and go from there. But in the mean time, how do I drop a tree to the ground and cut it west coast style while standing up? Hell, I built a log jack with the power of god but it still only goes 6" high depending upon the ground. A backhoe with a thumb attachment would do the deed for waist height cutting, but otherwise I just can't picture it.

Thanks again Ken,
t3t4

Latest posts

Back