MS 461 carb adjustment after MM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canamkayaker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How many turns out are you at after a minor muffler mod and removing the carb restrictors? About 1000 ft elevation. I tuned to sound(no tach). It’s running strong! Just wondering how I’m doing without a tach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainly asking about the H screw. The L and idle are really good. It’s really quick throttle response!

It doesn't work like that. No one can give you much more than a base setting. Your saw needs "tuned".

Thanks. I understand that but I have adjusted a few saws in my time just by listening for the “4 stroke”. Haven’t burnt 1 up yet. I was just wanting an idea of how close I was. I’ll get a tach today or tomorrow

461 are limited its hard to tell if 4 stroking or on limter change coil to 460 coil and tune

Any recommendations on a affordable wireless tach? Also considering a wiring one on for tuning and then removing it

You can get a wired one on ebay for $10 including shipping. I have a couple of them and they work well, but the downside is the slow refresh rate, about 2 seconds. I also have a Fast-Tach wireless (about $100) with a fast refresh rate, but the distance it must be held from the plug/wire is critical. I bought a holder for it, but it was money wasted, because the distance was seldom right. Having to hold it makes one hand less usable and this is a pita. But once you get it right it's more sensitive and responsive when you're adjusting a screw. From what you say you need, I would advise the $10 one. You can always move up if needed.

Latest posts

Back