MS 462 & MS 500i..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 441 has been around for almost 13 years now, as hard as it may be to believe. Still a fine saw. I guess being out production makes it old school? I kinda consider stuff like the 038 Mag and older old school.

I dunno. I don’t like the 462 but the 500i seems, on paper, like a winner. It’s like a 2 on the chainsaw hotness scale though. If it works, then, well, I won’t care though.

Nice. Just read both quickly and don't see where he said they're nearly identical..

I'm pretty sure I'm selling my ported 461R to get either a 462. But now I might make myself wait for a 500i. Bah

Not sure if I would do that.

Your ported 461 should beat up a 462. We ran our China 044/46 hybrids against a ported 462 (from a legendary porter) and the better of the bunch beat the 462 quite badly through a 24” cant bundle. A good 461 should put the hurt on an 044/6 hybrid or an 046.

Get a 462 if you want a good saw that’s 60cc light with 70+cc power.

I’ve ran both the 462 and the 500i. My initial thoughts were that porting saws will be a thing of the past, as they are both tremendous saws stock.

I do worry about the 500 gremlins though. They haven’t come out yet.

With the 500i's fuel injection will it run fine with ethanol fuel? For some that might be a huge plus.
I have read a few things that suggest the 500i should only be run on Motomix or Trufuel & not pump gas/mix as they are "finicky".

Can't believe this to be true.

I have read a few things that suggest the 500i should only be run on Motomix or Trufuel & not pump gas/mix as they are "finicky".

I agree, that doesn't sound right. It should at minimum, be no worse. MotoMix Only at $30 a gallon will kill the sales of the 500i.

I agree, that doesn't sound right. It should at minimum, be no worse. MotoMix Only at $30 a gallon will kill the sales of the 500i.

Agreed Too many fall into the sales hype. A saw, any saw, used regularly and stored correctly will be just fine running on Plus or Premium fuel, with Stihl oil.
The regular orange bottle oil to boot.
And just for the record, the injection system has been out for years in the TS500i

Not sure if I would do that.

Your ported 461 should beat up a 462. ...

Get a 462 if you want a good saw that’s 60cc light with 70+cc power.

Well, I'm looking for something to run a 20" bar. The 461R is a full 2.7 lbs heavier than the 462 (and only 1.1 lbs lighter than a 661). It's not exactly optimized for a 20" bar.

Maybe the solution is to buy the 462 and put a 20 on it and use the 461R for longer bars.

Not finicky at all. Even ported, delivers plenty of fuel at 32:1 and idles just fine. Starts 2nd pull very time

Thanks Brad.

And how is the 462 stock vs ported? I've heard many say it's just fantastic right out of the box. And then others say it responds really well to porting.

I suppose both of those could be true.

Back