MS 462 & MS 500i..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any literature on the 500i with a recommended bar size range for it?

I’d like to see a hp and torque curve for the 500i, 462cm, and a 461.

Is there any literature on the 500i with a recommended bar size range for it?
Don't look to literature for bar size recommendations. Ask those that use these saws in similar situations as yourself. Me...I like a 28" Stihl ES Light bar on a MS462. It can pull longer but does not balance or handle as well.

Thanks Brad.

And how is the 462 stock vs ported? I've heard many say it's just fantastic right out of the box. And then others say it responds really well to porting.

I suppose both of those could be true.
I love ported saws, have done a few myself.

The 462 and 500i are 2 saws where a muff mod will do you just fine.

Yes, porting will wake them up more, but there is always some trade off.

The mufflers on these saw are quite remarkable. A lot of engineering went into them. They have some of the largest opening areas of any produced Stihl’s and still keep the noise level down. They do sound a bit noisier stock than many of the older models though.

The 462 and 500i are 2 saws where a muff mod will do you just fine.
OK so I did my homework and googled for a few hours. I found posts or videos from 3 reputable porters who got 21-22% improvement when porting a 462. The 461 is more like 30%, so yeah the 462 is nearly 1/3 of the way there right out of the gate.

The mufflers on these saw are quite remarkable.
Which raises the question - how much room is left for the 462 to benefit from muffler mods, vs needing to do something more intrusive.

Gotta think about what the OEM does when they engineer a saw.

They have emission & noise restrictions, fuel consumption, reliability, power, easy starting and durability issues to contend with (amongst other things).

We simply trade one for the other, always.

So there is room for improvement by changing the inner baffling and opening the exit. It will increase power but make it louder.

Porting the saw will definitely increase power. I’m just not so sure the gains are as much as they used to be as technology has progressed.

If you spend $300+ to have it ported, it will go through a log a few seconds faster. It’s still a great saw as is, probably one of the best I’ve ever run.

That’s all I’m saying.

Give me the 261 and 462!
I love holding the 261. Haven’t cut with it yet. The 261 is fitted with the .325 / .063 chain though. Is that ok? I have about 22 cord bucked this season with my new 462 and I love this saw with the 28” ES Light the shop sold it with. Just a chip fountain maker.

I saw an interesting article that states that they put picco chain on a MS500i, and they said that it was rather impressive for cutting. Thought that was interesting.

I love holding the 261. Haven’t cut with it yet. The 261 is fitted with the .325 / .063 chain though. Is that ok? I have about 22 cord bucked this season with my new 462 and I love this saw with the 28” ES Light the shop sold it with. Just a chip fountain maker.

I've gone back and forth with 3/8 and .325 on my 261 both in stock and ported form. I prefer .325 for limbing and thinning. It's smoother, less grabby and the extra torque from the smaller diameter sprocket is nice for dealing with wood under tension. For bucking 8-16" firewood, I prefer 3/8. It stays sharp longer and chains last longer.

What I'm getting at is that .325 is great on a 261. If you find yourself using it for firewood all the time, and wearing out chains, consider trying 3/8, but otherwise, enjoy the 261, it's a sweet little saw.

I am so impressed with my 462 I have no need or want to send it out for porting. It’s got really quick acceleration and pulls well.
I’m sure the 500 will be nice but you can get new 462’s today from known members on these sites for less than a dealer wants.
Just my experience

Back