MS 650

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee192233

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

I just got done unboxing a saw that I acquired from David Major. I really think this was a pretty good deal. I payed less for this MS650 that I did for the piss pounded 460 that I bought off EBAY. This saw has a good piston and it runs.

I added the 32" Tsumura bar that I picked up for $75.

My plan is to put a set of rings in it, check crank bearings, new seals, impulse hose, av rubbers, carb kit, clean it up and cut a bunch of big willows that I've been putting off.

Any thoughts?

Have a great night!
Lee16021208656004417499571206051376.jpg
20201007_203630.jpg
20201007_203650.jpg
Piston from the 460 as a reminder! :mad:

Been awhile since I looked at this saw. Been busy cutting wood and filling the freezer with venison.

Here's what I found. It has a factory cylinder in very good shape. The piston is a Meteor.

I'm going do the following:
- New seals, hoses, av mounts
- Put a kit in the carb
- Clean it/touch it up.
- bearings feel good, should I change them anyway?
- Should I put a new Stihl piston kit in it?

Thanks for any input!
Lee

If it already has a meteor piston there is a good chance it has caber rings. You mentioned something about adding new rings. If compression is not good now new rings will not do a lot since it already has caber rings. I learned this with an 036. The cylinder was worn out.
The compression is pretty good but good point, I'll measure the cylinder and make sure it's in spec. If it's had a piston worn out already maybe the cylinder will be too far gone. If it's in spec should I get a stihl piston kit? Are they better than a Meteor piston?

Thanks again

Well I finally did a little work on this saw. I ordered a Meteor MS660 top end. When I went to put it on I found that either the saw is a 660 or it had a Stihl 660 top end installed already. Doh... should've measured first.
I installed the Meteor parts. It passed vac/pressure tests. I also installed a Max Flow filter. Ran it through a couple heat cycles.
I ran it in wood for the first time today. It has a 32" 3/8 .063 bar with a 9 pin sprocket and a full comp Stihl RSC chain. The chain was just good when I started(now it's barely good). I used it to flush cut a red pine stump. It was big enough to almost use the whole bar. It pulled it pretty easily. It slowed down a few times but the stump had some big knots that I saw when I was done.
Should I jump down to a 7 or 8 pin with the 32" bar? I mostly cut hardwood so I imagine it would work better with a smaller sprocket.
Thanks for any input,
Lee
Here's a pic
20210405_210424.jpg

They are the same strength and made of the exact same components except the drive link is wider on the 063 chain. Sure buy loops of 050 for the 24" bar. Did you keep the OEM cylinder, was it damaged/scored?
Thanks for the info. I just assumed the chain would be weaker. I did keep the cylinder. It isn't scored or damaged. I'm going to keep it though. I plan on blowing it apart and rebuilding the saw this summer. I will reuse it then with a factory piston. I might have a used Meteor cylinder and piston available then.
Lee

Back