MS 661C M-Tronic Repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You guys may find this post interesting on a rainy day. A logger backed over his MS 661C M-Tronic with a 25,000 lb skid loader. The handle bar looked like a pretzel, somehow the bar and chain survived, and the engine still had compression and turned over. He decided to have me repair it. That required over $500 in new parts -- handle bar, brake handle, tank housing, air filter, filter base, AV spring, pull cord housing, etc. It adds up fast. He claimed that after he ran over it, the saw started and ran, so in his mind, repairs were thus justified.

I was skeptical, but compression was at 155 psi., so I went ahead and ordered the parts. Well, lo and behold, I also discovered during the repair that the fuel line to the carb was completely broken off along with the carb's intake nipple. And, the intake manifold boot was cracked almost in half. So, the carb was not getting any fuel from the tank, and even if it did, any fuel-air mixture should have been lean.

As such, how long could this engine have run after it was squashed, assuming that he actually did start and run it? Any ideas?

So, nobody wants to venture a guess? Well, I went ahead and repaired the saw with the parts listed in post #1. It started and runs today. How did the logger know that I could repair it? I've never seen a saw engine run with a disconnected fuel line as shown in post #2. What was it running on? Maybe fumes from the skid loader that ran over it? You learn something every day.

He probably started it on the fuel remaining in the carb then shut it down.
That's what I figured, but I have no idea how long that run time would last. Maybe 5 seconds at most? Had the engine been cold, I doubt it would have fired. I really don't see how he could have concluded that the engine was still good.

BTW, I found more broken pieces on the case as I went along. This saw should have been trashed, but he insisted that I piece it together. I doubt he could ever sell it for the cost of the OEM parts.

Latest posts

Back