ms170 compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, I'm going to have to pop the bar off of the saw, and see if that will fit. I know I'll have to drill the hole though. Side cover doesn't come with one in it. I was actually wondering about getting the side and screw, etc for the tensioner for a 181 on it.

So, I took the muffler and the carb off the saw. The impulse hole on the carb was plugged. So, I cleared that out, and cleaned up the mating surfaces. The piston and rings were fine. Put the saw back together. It started on the 6th or 7th pull. Really good considering that if the saw had no gas in the line, it would be a half hour ordeal to get it going previously.

Seems to be cutting faster with the muffler opened up, and the newer carb tuned in.
Hey
Though Older thread, my 170 starts brief & dies, shows 130psi compression @ closed throttle. I cleaned the carb. I see good spark, Piston seem fine though not sure. I wonder what setting that screw in carb is supposed to be at (under the cover). It loosens by turning clockwise mine is set at roughly 12 full turns. I guess that the only adjustment at the carb. Any replies appreciated.

So it's running good with 80-90 psi compression that you previously indicated?
Do you know if your gauge reads correctly on a chainsaw?

I seen a 170 that a guy brought me to check, he said he found it laying beside the road in a ditch. The saw would drop to the end of the pull rope with it's own weight. felt compression was really weak. I told him it's probably not going to run. Saw with compression that weak.
I squirted some prime into the carb throat and it briefly started on 2nd pull. Added fuel and it started and ran great and cut great.
Seen the guy about year later and he said it's a good saw in the firewood lot for trimming.

Sure wished to this day I had checked the compression on that little saw.

AND he indicates his 170 is now running fine at 80-90psi AS INDICATED ON HIS COMPRESSION GAUGE.

That is why I previously asked if he knew for sure that his compression gauge indicated correctly when testing a chainsaw. I seen several compression testers that would not read correct, usually a low readings. Even seen guys install new pistons and cylinder and their gauge read even lower afterwards and the saw still not run due to other problems such as bad carb/weak ignition, vac/pressure crankcase leak, bad spark plug.

And I this is why we don't use a compression guage on two stroke saws. The starter handle test and visual inspection is what you need.

Read my post #29

That 170 would drop by it's own weight doing the rope/handle test.
Could not believe how easily it started and had good power in the cut.

The reason I did not check the compression it was not my saw and when something is working good FOR OTHER PEOPLE I leave it as is. (let a sleeping dog lay)

The guy actually brought me 2 170's at same time the other one was normal on the rope drop test.
The 3rd a guy had installed new piston and jug and still no run. (he said they tested the compression as still weak on his automotive gauge)
It had a bad carb.

Back