MS180 Adjustable Carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a hunch, I just went out and compared the original carb off my MS180 and a MS260 carb. The carbs are so similar it isn't funny, even though the 180 carb is a Zama and the 260 carb a Walbro.

The impulse comes through the carb body on the Zama, goes into a large chamber, and then passes through a small hole into a smaller chamber. The Walbro takes are through the impulse line directly into the smaller chamber. However, the provisions are there for the passage through the carb body on the 260 Walbro carb. All I would have to do is finish drilling the holes and plug the original impulse fitting.

The 260 has no choke in the carb. Once again, the body looks to be identical such that a machinist could drill the hole for the choke shaft. I might have to make a new butterfly plate, but the venturis may actually be the same size at that point.

Where's all this headed? How about a woods ported, rather a Snellerized MS180:) . No, I can't adjust the squish, but I can sure massage the port widths which is where most of the gains come from anyway. I think I'm going to give this a whirl.

Whatcha think?

Last edited:
I just bought a Walbro WT-215. It looks identical to the original MS180 carb except that it has both H and L screws. I'll have to swap the filter compensating cover and bolt it up. I'll make sure it's running good with the new carb before proceeding any further. LINK

Your finally catching on ..................:cheers: :cheers:

Your finally catching on ..................:cheers: :cheers:

Yes, a true "fiend," in the finest tradition of enthusiasts.......:clap: :greenchainsaw:

So most porting is done simply by widening the ports on the cylinder? How about the intake with its cylindrical manifold fitting?

Brad, do you have any before and after pics of your ported 460?:)

So most porting is done simply by widening the ports on the cylinder? How about the intake with its cylindrical manifold fitting?
That's the biggest part. I have never modded the rubber intake. On a true race saw, you will sometimes find a custom aluminum intake manifold.

Brad, do you have any before and after pics of your ported 460?:)
Sure do. They're all right here. LINK

Brad you need to do the leg work just like the rest .....It gets easier as time goes on........:cheers: :cheers:

So you've been holding out on me have you?:cry: You know you're one of my first enablers here, sending me a lot of IPLs in the early days.:cheers: Now here I am talking about porting a clam shell engine.

Last edited:
So you've been holding out on me have you?:cry: You know you're one of my first enablers here, sending me a lot of IPLs in the early days.:cheers:

So Its all my fault
.....................NOT.....................

Take a good look at the M.S.........................................2..................................0.............................0.........................................................T

Latest posts

Back