MS180 Adjustable Carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only added 2, 1/4 inch holes and left all the factory holes alone. I also pried the louvers open a bit. I wonder if I should go more or if this enough?

It's kind of a trial by fire............should be able to pick up a used
muffler cheap, if needed :)

has anybody noticed how open the inside of these mufflers is. mine looks like one of the modded ones you see with the perforated part of the cage all cut out already from the factory. What I wanna know is why they chose to do it this way with this saw but had to restrict all the other saws so bad. the outlet on the muffler is significantly larger than the one on my 290 as well:dizzy: IT JUST MAKES NO SENSE!!:monkey:

The dvom is only good to around 12,000 I have already tried it. Sorry you have to break down and buy the tach. Look at it this was it is much cheaper then replacing the piston. several of the site sponsors sell them.

Oh I got one from this fellow and bolted it on and it fired right up worked perfect. I only had to adjust the carb once I modded the muff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Walbro-WT-215-d...ryZ85915QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i got one coming from this guy too.

So I now have my new muffler to be opened up for the 180 mod. The question is after that should I put in a new H Jet .47 or .48 or just spring and buy the Wt-215. Since you guys have put them on what would be your advice on this?

For grins, bought a rim drum sprocket kit. Was going to try
my 12" .043 BC but chain needs 1 more link to fit right.
14" .050 BC did fit. Hated to, but pulled out new chain
and give it a try. 90% of the cutting I do with it is 6" and smaller....
............I think I like it :)

attachment.php

so i finally got around to doing this....
pulled the brass plug, plugged the other hole, switched caps, modded my muffler, adjusted 1 turn out on the high, and 1 1/4 on the low...had to turn the idle up a good ways, but damn this thing cuts nice now...i can put some good weight on it going into a log...it will bog down if you get deep enough, but nothin like it used to....definately worthwhile mod..should have done this a while ago!

Bringing this back from the dead. Ok I got a little 170 that is outa warranty and really like the size but would like a little more umph to it. I found a WT215 carb and understand the "yellow and red" hole things. What I dont understand is the intellicarb cover and all that jazz. You guys are saying replace a cover or something another. Can somebody post some pics on what your talking about? I would appreciate it.

Bringing this back from the dead. Ok I got a little 170 that is outa warranty and really like the size but would like a little more umph to it. I found a WT215 carb and understand the "yellow and red" hole things. What I dont understand is the intellicarb cover and all that jazz. You guys are saying replace a cover or something another. Can somebody post some pics on what your talking about? I would appreciate it.

I'll try to get into my 170 and post some pics tonight.

In pic 1 the top cover on the left is an intellicarb cover the one on the right is not. If u can switch the intellicarb cover from the stock carb to the adjustable one. I had problems with this as the tapped holes were slighty different. So I just left the non IC cover on and took some filter material and plugged the port on the back side of the airbox (pics 2 and 3). If you go this route you will have to plug it with a rubber plug or filter material or something to keep debris from entering the carb and crankcase.

Whoa, those pics are kinda big, in to much of a hurry I guess, sorry.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

I have a few pics HERE

You guys are saying replace a cover or something another.

Which # post in this thread are you reffering to?

Back