MS180 Adjustable Carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ms 180 carb swap

I just put the WT-215 on my 180 today.

To take the brass plug out, took the top off and pushed off with small 90 pick tool.
Sealed the other hole with JB weld, worked great. Put air box back on and drilled adjustment
holes , not to hard to line up since one I had adjustment slots even though they were not
used. Ran today without air box and filter ran great. Low screw out 1 1/4 turns high out
1 1/8 turns. Will let you know how runs when fully assembled waiting for RTV to dry in
extra hole, in filter box.

Well just following up, i got the cheapest adjustable carb from feebay in delivered today, swapped it out, drilled some holes for the new screws tuned it works like a charm. =)

The quality of the carb looked good, we'll see how it does long term...Im not expecting any probs because this saw doesn't see any serious action. :)

Thanks for the bump, Brad.

I just read through this thread and am now in search of a reasonably-priced carb (I am in Canada!) so that I can do this mod on my MS170.

It will be nice to clear the trails I ride with a saw that doesn't want to bog down when it feels wood. :)

cheers!

ok so will the 215 carb bolt right on a basic ms 170 or do you have to modify it?i thought scott said it bolted right on to his..... he never said he did anything else but tune it and mod the muffler...... suppose i need to go find that thread and browse it again.....

ok so will the 215 carb bolt right on a basic ms 170 or do you have to modify it?i thought scott said it bolted right on to his..... he never said he did anything else but tune it and mod the muffler...... suppose i need to go find that thread and browse it again.....
Their is a hole on the back of the wt215 that needs sealed up I used JB weld. Compair to original carb to see which one is not their. Their is pics in original thread if can be found. Don't remember why brass plug needed removed, to open correct passage I think I know I removed it. This was done on ms180. Runs great also did muff mod.

Last edited:
Thanks for the bump, Brad.

I just read through this thread and am now in search of a reasonably-priced carb (I am in Canada!) so that I can do this mod on my MS170.

It will be nice to clear the trails I ride with a saw that doesn't want to bog down when it feels wood. :)

cheers!
I just ordered an adjustable carb from Huztl on ebay ($10.00+ship). I'll report how it works once it arrives.

Lee

I just installed one of the Huztl ebay fully adjustable carb's on a 017 works great and is nicely made, I paid under $10 including shipping.

Last edited:
I just installed one of the Huztl ebay fully adjustable carb's on a 017 works great and is nicely made, I paid under $10 including shipping.
Did you have to modify the throttle rod? I can't see how I could get it on without taking handle apart to get the other end of the throttle rod free. It's pretty tight in the carb air box!
The carb itself looks very good. The Stihl one, non-adjustable, I'm replacing is also made in China!

Thanks Lee

Did you have to modify the throttle rod? I can't see how I could get it on without taking handle apart to get the other end of the throttle rod free. It's pretty tight in the carb air box!
The carb itself looks very good. The Stihl one, non-adjustable, I'm replacing is also made in China!

Thanks Lee
You have to take the handle apart to replace the carb just remove the linkage from the trigger, no linkage mod required, it's easy to do.

Well before reading this response, I went ahead and started to modify the carb as it didn't have a slot for the throttle rod but a hole. And as I could not get it to fit I thought I'll give it a slot to make it easier to fit. As I was cutting the slot with a little cuttoff wheel on my Dremmil I managed to cut the spring so pretty much carb is now useless. I could take another spring off an unused carb except that I cannot remove the throttle plate due to a crappie Philips screw that is now stripped. So I've re-installed the non adjustable original. My day so far!

Lee

Opps! I was left with a plastic part 1130 124 3200 heat shield, over after putting my 170 back together. It doesn't show up on the 17,18 IPL which is the only one I have. I haven't replaced the muffler vet so it may go near there. Good fun!

Edit Gmax kindly sent me an IPL so the part is now installed where it should be. Thanks again Gmax

You can buy a new fully adjustable carb for under $10 shipped that is made for the 017, it bolts right on. A muffler mod and this carb really wakes up the saw, it's worth the effort.

What are you guys doing to the case and cover to get to the screws on the carb?

Back