• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy MS180 P/C with Compression Release

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rd35

Just an average Joe's brother!!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hello folks. I need a P/C for an MS180 that is drilled for a compression release. I would even be interested in just a cylinder that is scored beyond repair that I can use as a pattern so I can machine one myself. If you have one you could part with cheap, please PM me so we can discuss. Thanks

Yes if you look at the Stihl 180-180C IPL it shows one as an option. If you look at the clutch side of a 180 cylinder it has a boss in the casting that can be faced, drilled, and tapped. I want to machine mine and install a decomp so I can give it to my Dad. He injured his shoulder and has a very difficult time starting his MS170. Once started he can run that little saw just fine. He's 80 years old and stays active keeping the trails and field perimeters cleared on his property. He has resorted to putting his bar in his bench vise so he can pull the rope with both hands to start it cold. (Yes, I argued with him about bending the bar, etc.....ever try to convince an 80 year old man that he shouldn't do something he's already done several times....doesn't work) Once warm, he can drop start it....although it hurts his shoulder, he can still start it warm. With a decomp valve, I'm betting he will find it much more enjoyable to do his work around the farm.

Attachments

• MS180 Cylinders.pdf
    149.6 KB · Views: 8
If I could find a cheap replacement P/C that was already drilled I'd just swap out the P/C on his. He'd have the only 170 (not really a 170 anymore) on the planet with a decomp valve!

I'll take plenty of photos as I go along but it may be a while. I'm currently working to get my Lathe/Mill/Drill unit set up. Then I'll need to figure out how to fixture the cylinder. I'm leaning toward just buying a new P/C and working on it that way so Dad can keep his saw running as is for now. If I can get the fixture worked out then it will only take me an hour or less to machine it.

I looked into the spring wound Easy2Start system. Requires replacing the starter and the main wrap handle assembly. Those starters can be really annoying as you can only spin the engine as fast as the spring tension will allow. Dad has a decomp valve on his 026 and loves it....but now that saw has also become too heavy for him. And, since I opened my big mouth and told him about the decomp option now he really REALLY wants to go that route. He thinks having a decomp on that tiny saw will be really cool!!!

I'll continue this post once I get started.....unless somebody pops up out of nowhere with a factory machined one I can buy cheap!

Hey there fellow Hoosier. Just some food for thought, but if you're going to buy a new top end anyway, you might consider buying one with the decomp? The part number is 1130 020 1209. I'm not sure if they're available in the US or not, but that's only a small hurdle that easily be crossed.

Hello there NewToStihl! Yes, I considered that...but I am assuming I can buy a new saw cheaper than what a new OEM 1209 cylinder will cost me. Was hoping somebody might have a cheap used factory one....or even a damaged factory machined one I could use as a pattern. At this point, I am starting to lay plans to just machine one myself. My big concern is how to properly make the penetration through the cylinder wall. Not sure I want to bore all the way through with a full size 10mm hole. May try boring to the minimum depth that will allow the decomp valve to move properly and then punch through as high as possible in the cylinder wall with, say, a 5mm drill. Sure would be nice to get my hands on an old factory machined 1209 cylinder. I'm gonna post in the regular chainsaw forum to see if anybody one they can photo and post.

Back