MS192T muffler mod (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeSurfer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i decided to muffler mod my 192T today. this mod really wakes up this saw alot and its really easy to do if you have a dremel and a carbide bit.

Before
PA190233.jpg

After
PA190234.jpg

heres the deflector that got opened up too.
PA190236.jpg

Last edited:
[video=youtube;rQexDwBMgSE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQexDwBMgSE[/video]

Last edited:
Saws appears to be very responsive and runs good. A before mod and after mod cut on the same piece of log/wood could have enhanced your topic dramatically. Nothing to compare to. Just my .02:chainsawguy:

Its a plastic cover and they burn/melt through. Its a common problem with the 192. Gives it that "Macho" look doesn't it? LOL.' That can be cleaned up with some presion removal of the deformed/melted plastic. Will look more like a 200t then.

Did you cut out the entire opening with the dremel? And then just dump the metal shavings out? Did you replace the screen that was over it or did you leave it off?

I usually try to take the muffler completly off if at all possible. I have done this mod in the feild with the same success but just being EXTREMLY careful as to not get any fileings in the piston/cylinder.
I remove the whole rectangle area around the hole leaving material enough to reuse screen. I want to be compliant with the powers to be. I also dont put screen back on until after saw has been ran to clear out any filings that may be left and to not block the screen and also allow them an easy way out. I then put screen in and retune saw since it will be lean.:clap:

Its never a good idea to port a muffler with it on the saw! No offense what so ever but its just a v:msp_unsure:ery bad idea. You may think your being careful but metal goes everywhere and inside a muffler, especially one that's not new there is oil residue in which the filings will stick to. And then the saw could be bounced around and they may get dislodged and find there way into the exhaust port. Hey if its your saw its your loss. But its alot better to take it off and port it, blow it out then spray brake cleaner or Carb cleaner into it to loosen up any build up and blow out a few more times until clean. Sometimes on two piece muffs I wash in soap and water dry and still blow down before install. Just my take on things. Its a few extra steps that will help in the long run....

I have to concur with Stihl n Wood about removing the muffler completely since you are still new at this. ANY TIME you muffler mod complete removal is always best. Small matellic particals and fast moving pistons dont mix. PERIOD.
Retuning is ever so slight 1/8 turn or so is all thats needed, and you will want to turn screw to the left to richen and not to the right which will lean it out the opposite of what you want.

Yes, most definite on the richen up. You can also play with the L screw as well and possibly gain even more throttle response as well. In fact recently I took my new 201t muffler off to port. And that alone woke it up a ton compared to stock. Also had to remove the limiter on the H screw. There was very little adjustment allowed with the limiter in place. Which would be another thing you may consider doing too. No ones here to bash, but only help those who need it. So don't take it the wrong way. No one here wants to see a fellow member blow there saw up...

I by no means take offense to anything both of you have mentioned. I know I'm new at this and that's why I come asking questions. I appreciate all the feedback. And definitely don't want to blow my saw up.

Latest posts

Back