ms193 Timing bump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowtiescottsdale

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
question... does anyone make or heard off offset woodruff keys for saws. yes, ik i could mill the keys to get my ignition advance but wouldnt it be cool to have some offset keys in increments of .010 all the way to .050"

Never heard of such a thing. But if they were cheap enough and I could buy a pack of them I would consider doing that. But at the same time a flat file gets the job done just fine.

Third to half the keyway. Huskies have the key molded into the flywheel so being precises is difficult.

question... does anyone make or heard off offset woodruff keys for saws. yes, ik i could mill the keys to get my ignition advance but wouldnt it be cool to have some offset keys in increments of .010 all the way to .050"

I agree with what everbody says above. Filing keys is easy. An offset key will not be structurally stronger than a filed key.

I do like the idea of having a set of keys set to particular advances. It would help a lot for finding timing advance sweet spots. I think I’ll add that to my project list. There are several different key sizes, but only a few standard ones.

For the cast key flywheels, I use a degree wheel and mark the key with an exacto knife. BUT, keys set to specific widths would be traceable and probably be more accurate. I find the cast wheels a little more serious because the mod isn’t easily reversible. I have over filed a few. Adding material back is a tedious process and looks hacked. I’ve taken as much as 10 degrees, but rarely like the results over 6 degrees. Several saws have done best between 1 and 3 degrees. Some seemed more powerful with more advance but showed a lower RPM and power band in the cut. Others have more obvious starting issues, idle problems and excess carbon buildup. Every model is different and each saw has its own variations.

Just my findings.

Back