Ms193t keeps dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcurbanloggers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a brand new ms193. I just cannot get it to keep running. It starts fine but quits as soon as I let off the throttle. Hoping this is a super simple fix. I thought it might be the idle screw is too low, but the idle speed sounds pretty good to me. That said, I haven’t been home to fiddle with it yet. Please let me know what you all think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got one a few weeks old now that was acting the same way. I usually like to get 2-3 tanks through it before I touch the carb too much. Opened the muffler up, more so the deflector, and tuned the carb and it's running great now. Before it wouldn't start back up too easy after it died either, so I would assume yours just needs adjusted.

I've got one a few weeks old now that was acting the same way. I usually like to get 2-3 tanks through it before I touch the carb too much. Opened the muffler up, more so the deflector, and tuned the carb and it's running great now. Before it wouldn't start back up too easy after it died either, so I would assume yours just needs adjusted.

Do you think I should just run it at a higher idle? I don’t think messing with the fuel ratio will do any good.

Do you think I should just run it at a higher idle? I don’t think messing with the fuel ratio will do any good.

I don't think I touched the idle on mine but as long as the chain isn't spinning you could get by with that for now. Mine would idle fine, but when it died it was kind of random, had poor throttle response so I knew an adjustment needed to be made. If you haven't seen the thread where Brad messes with one I can share a link. Should be easy to find though, it's title "Introducing the MS193T", or close to it. Mine hasn't had 3 full tanks through it yet and after doing those things to it, I can force it through 4-6" stuff rather well.

I don't think I touched the idle on mine but as long as the chain isn't spinning you could get by with that for now. Mine would idle fine, but when it died it was kind of random, had poor throttle response so I knew an adjustment needed to be made. If you haven't seen the thread where Brad messes with one I can share a link. Should be easy to find though, it's title "Introducing the MS193T", or close to it. Mine hasn't had 3 full tanks through it yet and after doing those things to it, I can force it through 4-6" stuff rather well.

Ok well maybe it’s just that it’s not broken in yet. I turned up the idle and it seems ok. No issues with trigger response and high revs sound fine, so I don’t think I have a carb issue. I’ll turn the idle back down after a few tanks and see what it does then. If it’s still acting up then I’ll take it back to the dealer.

Ok well maybe it’s just that it’s not broken in yet. I turned up the idle and it seems ok. No issues with trigger response and high revs sound fine, so I don’t think I have a carb issue. I’ll turn the idle back down after a few tanks and see what it does then. If it’s still acting up then I’ll take it back to the dealer.

It really depends on the dealer, if they took the time to set it right or not. I'm sure most of them are left at the factory setting, whether they're set on a shelf or left in the box. I'm sure most all here would agree that all saw manufacturer's saws need some fine tuning, most importantly, after the limiters are removed.

I just bought a new 193T about a week and a half ago and I’m having the same issue. I was trimming my roubalini palms (overkill, I know but I really wanted to use it) and every time I let off the throttle, it died. Did the same thing with bigger palm fronds too.

I turned the idle up a bit to avoid the dying, and usually carried a screwdriver with when up in the lift if adjustment was needed. Mind you, this was in 80+ F degree weather and I don't think chainsaws like those temperatures much.

I turned the idle up a bit to avoid the dying, and usually carried a screwdriver with when up in the lift if adjustment was needed. Mind you, this was in 80+ F degree weather and I don't think chainsaws like those temperatures much.

Good point about the temperature. I’m in Florida and 90 degree temperatures are our cold fronts...

Very common issue on MS193T's: mine started doing the same after five or six tanks.

Let's get a couple of things out of the door: first, weather has absolutely nothing to do with it. Mine started having problems in late Winter when temperatures were around freezing. Second, Stihl is perfectly aware of this issue and butchering the saw in search of "performances" or miraculous cures will give them exactly something to get out of a warranty job they don't want to approve.

What should you do then? Bring it back to where you've bought and tell the dealer what is happening. Unless a new service bulletin came out, it's very likely at first they'll just slightly tune the carburetor and send you on your way. If the problem is still present, go back and you'll get a new carburetor under warranty. Mine is going in next week because, plainly put, I've had no time to bring it to the dealership before and it seems EUROII-compliant carburetors are on backorder. EPA-compliant carburetors may be another story.

You paid a lot of money for the saw, and a chunk of that money went towards a warranty. Even BMW Motorrad has understood that after decades of treating warranty jobs like cases of leprosy and I hope Stihl is getting it as well.

I brought it in to the dealer. They adjusted the carb and said it should run perfect now. We’ll see I guess.

I brought it in to the dealer. They adjusted the carb and said it should run perfect now. We’ll see I guess.
The question you have to ask them is why they sold it to you without checking to see that the engine ran OK. Can you imagine if most car dealers sold new cars this way? Ridiculous!

The question you have to ask them is why they sold it to you without checking to see that the engine ran OK. Can you imagine if most car dealers sold new cars this way? Ridiculous!

I know that they checked the engine before I left originally. I’ve bought all of my equipment from them. They fire them up every time. It always bothers me because I want to be the first one to fire it up as stupid as it sounds. Also, they put just enough gas in it to fire it up which also pisses me off.

Thing is, it fires up and runs fine. It’s when you let off the throttle after cutting that it would shut down.

I know that they checked the engine before I left originally. I’ve bought all of my equipment from them. They fire them up every time. It always bothers me because I want to be the first one to fire it up as stupid as it sounds. Also, they put just enough gas in it to fire it up which also pisses me off.

Thing is, it fires up and runs fine. It’s when you let off the throttle after cutting that it would shut down.

I've found that quite typical of my 193, when it was "factory" tuned it was horrible, it's tolerable now. I actually don't mind it because when I'm up in the air trimming it's usually wide open, and I either shut it off, or it dies when I need to set it down or grab a branch. I think mine over fuels itself upon letting off the throttle but I could be wrong. Long cuts in bigger wood it idles fine after, but if I'm buzzing through little branches is usually when it stumbles but as I mentioned this has all been through the hotter months. I'll wait to see how it acts later this year when the temps are right as I believe it's issue is more to do with my tuning than it is the saw itself. I did a bunch of tree work in March, and then again in late April or May, and ran awesome all through those jobs, but I had to do a bunch of trimming for a guy here the middle of this summer which normally doesn't happen.

Then again maybe my memory is off, I just got the saw this year for going out on my own to do tree removal/trimming. I'll be it's had over 30 tanks run through it so far though, amazing how much you can cut on one tank. We had carbed 201's where I was working at before and they were always put away wet, not really taken care of so not a good comparison, but my 193 seems every bit as capable as them. I haven't run a newer 201 with m tronic, for twice the price it didn't seem worth it when I can take the 261 up with me for large branches.

I bought a new 193T from Richardson Saw and Lawnmower in Richardson, TX about 2 months ago. They didn't even bother to add fuel or bar and chain lube, so they had no idea whether or not the saw was usable. When I first used the saw, it was very hard to start and would never idle. After struggling through a few easy-use tanks, I took the saw back to the dealer and asked for a new saw. They refused, but did keep it for a couple of weeks to adjust the carb. When I got it back the saw would start and idle, but would only start under half-choke. Now when it runs, it runs poorly and the chain seems to barely spin so I never use it unless it's absolutely necessary. (I owned a 192TC for several years and it was always an awesome saw!)

When I tried to remove the chain, the stud was spinning out of the chassis instead of the nut simply spinning loose. So I took the saw back to the dealer and once again requested a new saw because this one is a lemon. Again they refused. This time they fully removed the stud and put threadlock on it. And once again, the saw is almost useless. Today I tried to remove a small Ash tree, and the saw would only run slowly and only remove very small branches. On larger branches it simply dies.

If that wasn't enough problems for a brand new "professional" saw, it smokes like crazy if I do manage to get the motor to run wide open for more than 30 seconds or so.

this is my 8th saw (small Poulan, Husqvarna 345, Craftsman 50cc, Stihl MS 250, Stihl MS 192tc, Stihl MS 290 - easily my best saw yet, and Stihl MS 462 C-M) and is easily the junkiest most worthless machine in the group.

I do need to buy a quality in-tree saw, and don't know what to do. Should I step up to the MS 201, or change to a different brand? I'm also considering trying to find a different dealer and ask them to promise to honor the saw's warranty in case it turns out to be total junk, and buying a new 193 if they agree.

Dealer should honor warranty unless they suspect something nefarious. Even then, most dealers make the effort to fix saws they sold.
Any chance someone put oil in the gas tank at some point? My buddy just did this with his. Rebuilt the carb, cleaned muffler screen, and tuned it with limiters removed to get it right. Runs good now.

Latest posts

Back