MS194T?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph79

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has used and has an opinion on the MS194T? I was looking at that and a new very old stock Dolmar PS-3410 TH. I don't think Makita / Dolmar still has parts for the 3410 so that's keeping me away from that a little. I have no Stihl experience but obviously very well regarded, can't get hands on that one though to check it out in person.

I have one in my store, they switched out the 193 to a 194... I have not had a chance to fire up one and play with it. Yet.
Nice little saw, well balanced. Looks lighter than the 201T

I have one in my store, they switched out the 193 to a 194... I have not had a chance to fire up one and play with it. Yet.
Would you happen to know why the 150T is pricier than the 194T? Only just noticed that. Is it a premium for the small size/weight or is it more 'pro' build?

I have a 150T, for the rare occasions that I need a climbing saw. Opened up the muffler and it seems to run good. weights next to nothing. Probably more of a pro saw, with a magnesium case. very nicely designed. Expensive tho....

Picked up the Dolmar today, got a bit of a deal. I just like the look and feel of it I guess, and I've been happy with my other Makita stuff. May regret that down the road if I need parts but I'll worry about that later. The 150T does look nice but that moves me into another price bracket which I already did once to get to the Dolmar v. 194T choice.

So, actually pretty easy to start and cuts nice but:

- Smoking a little too much from exhaust
- Was stalling at idle until warmed up a little.
- Would stall with chain brake on, much less likely to stall with brake off. Chain doesn't seem to be moving at idle, maybe just enough though.
- Seems to be what I assume is oil on the muffler.
- On second tank of fuel which is stuff I mixed myself and use in my other 2 stroke equipment (vs whatever the shop put in when purchased) it starts and then stalls after about 5 or so seconds at idle.

I'm going to take it back where I got it to have them look at it but would does this just sound like it needs to be tuned properly? Everything is under warranty so I'm not worried about costs, worried if it's a bigger issue I may just get money back, they don't make these saws anymore so there won't be a direct replacement. Also just killing a bit of time on a Sunday morning.

If it doesn't work out I think I talked myself into the 150T.

So, actually pretty easy to start and cuts nice but:

- Smoking a little too much from exhaust
- Was stalling at idle until warmed up a little.
- Would stall with chain brake on, much less likely to stall with brake off. Chain doesn't seem to be moving at idle, maybe just enough though.
- Seems to be what I assume is oil on the muffler.
- On second tank of fuel which is stuff I mixed myself and use in my other 2 stroke equipment (vs whatever the shop put in when purchased) it starts and then stalls after about 5 or so seconds at idle.

I'm going to take it back where I got it to have them look at it but would does this just sound like it needs to be tuned properly? Everything is under warranty so I'm not worried about costs, worried if it's a bigger issue I may just get money back, they don't make these saws anymore so there won't be a direct replacement. Also just killing a bit of time on a Sunday morning.

If it doesn't work out I think I talked myself into the 150T.
Get the 150T

What is the change from the 193 to the 194? Near as I could tell, the change from 192T to 193T was doing away with the 'easy start' on the 192.

Cheap stihl top handles are underwhelming traditionally. didnt the 019t share the same engine as the 017?

I have been running echo cs2511T's daily for a few years, youd be had pressed to find people who dont like them.

Works much better after some tuning. Going to break it in a little, but I think it's still off a bit. Tiny bit of hesitation on acceleration and it did stall once at idle not quite warmed up though. Been reading a bit, would the correct adjustment be?

L Screw: CCW about 1/8th of a turn or less to address the acceleration issue,
Idle screw may have to go CW a bit after to compensate for the L adjustment

Reading too many posts here has made me paranoid about a wrong carb adjustment destroying the saw.

I'll probably run a few tanks through before I try.

If you're paranoid about wrong adjustments ruining the saw, why would you go ahead and run a few more tanks through it? Do you trust the dealer to have it right? Go ahead and play with the low screw and idle speed until it idles right. I don't think there's any risk in damaging anything while idling regardless of the settings. Then, adjust the high by tuning in the cut. Fine tune the idle again if needed after that.

If you end up giving up on it, I second the idea of at least checking out the Echo 2511T before settling on the 150T.

Good point, for some reason I'm assuming they have it rich and I'll be leaning it out which could cause some damage. My day job is electrician, mechanical not so good at. First saw I bought was at a shop in the middle of nowhere, they did adjustments to the carb while cutting, no problems there. This is in town and I don't see any logs anywhere so I think that step gets skipped.

I'll give 'er a shot.

If you're paranoid about wrong adjustments ruining the saw, why would you go ahead and run a few more tanks through it? Do you trust the dealer to have it right? Go ahead and play with the low screw and idle speed until it idles right. I don't think there's any risk in damaging anything while idling regardless of the settings. Then, adjust the high by tuning in the cut. Fine tune the idle again if needed after that.

If you end up giving up on it, I second the idea of at least checking out the Echo 2511T before settling on the 150T.

I bought an Echo top handle around 10 years ago. Had to get a refund on it because I could not start it after it warmed up. The one I had (don't recall the number) had a very small tank.

Just took a look, it has a tool less chain tensioner on it, something wasn't seated quite right and the chain wasn't moving as free as it should be. Set that back up properly and all seems fine now. Prefer the scrench.

Latest posts

Back