Ms201 c-em rear handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious too. I ended up with the ms193 ($$$$) and have been happy with it, but still think that extra 5cc would be nice. I walk a lot in our club with the saw and weight really matters.

Or you could just do like I did and buy a new lighter weight, low-tech Echo CS-361P for less than half the price at the Echo once a year sale.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take a chance on the 201C if I didn't mind paying the high price. But the little 361P is no slouch. Zippy little saw with some guts. And so far very dependable.
20190209_125643.jpg

Or you could just do like I did and buy a new lighter weight, low-tech Echo CS-361P for less than half the price at the Echo once a year sale.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take a chance on the 201C if I didn't mind paying the high price. But the little 361P is no slouch. Zippy little saw with some guts. And so far very dependable.
View attachment 735851

no hp specs that i could find, any info and is it all plastic? i have about three acres around house with 1 inch to 4 inch trees growing 4 - 8trees per square foot its like a hedge row of soild trees started with snipers then small large saw all wore me out i have then tried driving over them/ through with 50 hp jd tractor 2 feet in stops me dead

no hp specs that i could find, any info and is it all plastic? i have about three acres around house with 1 inch to 4 inch trees growing 4 - 8trees per square foot its like a hedge row of soild trees started with snipers then small large saw all wore me out i have then tried driving over them/ through with 50 hp jd tractor 2 feet in stops me dead
This site shows 2.03hp on the CS-361WES.
https://www.echotools.com/en_us/products/chain-saws/cs-361wes_37
From experience with similar power saws, I'm guessing this is accurate for the CS-361P also.
Based off the very popular top handle CS-355T. Plastic, yes. Used by pros, absolutely. Maybe a better description would be commercial grade, than "pro saw" in the conventional sense.
It's a quick revving saw. And I'd imagine some easy gains in power could be had from a muffler mod/cat delete. But I've been running mine as is.
Four to eight inch hardwood is in it's wheelhouse, and I've buried the 14" bar a couple of times.
A fun vid of the 361WES and 201C.

My new-old 7 pound reed valve Echo CS-346 with cat delete and 16" skinny bar is ideal for brush and stuff up to four inches. Plastic case again, but I aint broke it yet. I'd guess the most fragile parts of these saws are also plastic on the Stihl 201C.
20190317_000529.jpg
I'd still love an MS201CEM. But I wanted a pole saw too. And a tiny top handle saw. So I was beginning to give myself a guilt trip and chose the much less expensive saw.
If price is not a factor, by all means,,get the Stihl.

If your concerned about the MT Stihl offers the MS201 with standard carb. Mine is a 2015 and has been used a bit without any problems. Get a light bar for it, I have a 12" & 14" light bars and they work great. 14" is ideal.

If your concerned about the MT Stihl offers the MS201 with standard carb. Mine is a 2015 and has been used a bit without any problems. Get a light bar for it, I have a 12" & 14" light bars and they work great. 14" is ideal.

got burnt with a 550xp so just wanted to check reliability

I was cautious too TBH, I knew quite a few climbers that had issues with the early MT models. Stihl needs this pro saw to have good rep so they have made a few upgrades since its release to improve the saw (which is normal for all saws). I think it was late 2013 when they changed the ignition/flywheel giving them a few more degrees of advance. Honestly I would go for the screwdriver over MT personally, I did & can say its a great, reliable little saw. I'm not scared of MT/AT systems but I think some saws seem better suited to standard carbs/MT than others.

I think it was late 2013 when they changed the ignition/flywheel giving them a few more degrees of advance.

Yes it was in 2013. They had a kit consisting of an advanced flywheel with 4° earlier ignition timing, together with a different ignition module and a new carburetor.

Brad did this modification (ignition timing) already on his ported versions, before Stihl came out with that modified kit.

This site shows 2.03hp on the CS-361WES.
https://www.echotools.com/en_us/products/chain-saws/cs-361wes_37
From experience with similar power saws, I'm guessing this is accurate for the CS-361P also.
Based off the very popular top handle CS-355T. Plastic, yes. Used by pros, absolutely. Maybe a better description would be commercial grade, than "pro saw" in the conventional sense.
It's a quick revving saw. And I'd imagine some easy gains in power could be had from a muffler mod/cat delete. But I've been running mine as is.
Four to eight inch hardwood is in it's wheelhouse, and I've buried the 14" bar a couple of times.
A fun vid of the 361WES and 201C.

My new-old 7 pound reed valve Echo CS-346 with cat delete and 16" skinny bar is ideal for brush and stuff up to four inches. Plastic case again, but I aint broke it yet. I'd guess the most fragile parts of these saws are also plastic on the Stihl 201C.
View attachment 735879
I'd still love an MS201CEM. But I wanted a pole saw too. And a tiny top handle saw. So I was beginning to give myself a guilt trip and chose the much less expensive saw.
If price is not a factor, by all means,,get the Stihl.

The 361 with cat delete and drilled through baffle runs like a mofo, and pulls hard even buried in oak. One of the few sub 40cc saws that have ever impressed me.

Back