Ms201 won’t start when hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have just acquired a Ms201tc which is a great little saw. Big problem with it is it is impossible to start when hot. Cold it starts second or third pull.

Could someone please suggest where to start looking to rectify?

Thanks

It sounds very much like either a failing ignition coil or a malfunctioning M-Tronic solenoid: the latter were relatively common on pre-2016 saws, before Stihl moved to a different vendor/design.

Now, here's the problem: I've learned how to test a hot ignition coil but I have no clue on how to test a solenoid and I'd just leave it to the local Stihl dealership. ;)

Sounds like a faulty solenoid valve. Had the same issues in my 661. Solved them by changing to the white solenoid and the orange fuel filter.

Στάλθηκε από το LG-H818 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

What they said. It’s going to get worse too. Either take it to the dealership or throw parts at it. The 201tc-m gets spendy when those parts die.

Thanks all. Sounds like I need to drop it into the dealer and see what they say. I hope it is an easy fix because it’s an otherwise ripper little saw.

Cheers

Thanks all. Sounds like I need to drop it into the dealer and see what they say. I hope it is an easy fix because it’s an otherwise ripper little saw.

Cheers
It's actually fast and easy as far as you have the parts

Στάλθηκε από το SM-A920F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Hi all.

I have just acquired a Ms201tc which is a great little saw. Big problem with it is it is impossible to start when hot. Cold it starts second or third pull.

Could someone please suggest where to start looking to rectify?

Thanks
Did you get any answers or fix this issue? I have the same issue and coil and solenoid has been replaced.

Back