MS201TCM carbs dont last

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCtree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I own 4 of these saws. When running correctly they are excellent.
The big problem is, after about one year of use (climbing and aerial lift), the saw doesn’t run properly.
Here are two examples.
1). Will not idle
2). Cutting is slower because the saw doesn’t have full power.

I’ve brought 2 of them to Stihl dealerships
The first time they put a new spark plug and air filter in. It didn’t help.
I brought it back and talked with the mechanic. He told me that he had been replacing a lot of carbs in these saws.

Question. Is there a non computerized carb that replaces the mtronic carb in this saw???
(I never had a problem adjusting my own saws in the past. )

Thank you

Solenoid valve issues , the shop you referenced earlier has a bunch of parts changers not mechanics , I advise you find another dealer ! The carbs are not the issue , simple valve swap and manual recalibration is all that’s necessary to restore proper performance. The valves overtime leak internally and no longer close seeping fuel on the low end causing the saw to slowly load up at idle, if left go long enough you will notice the poor performance on the high end as well due to the valve leaking through out the saws entire power band. In today’s day an age of electronic saws you need to choose your dealers very carefully, don’t be afraid to ask to talk to a technician or technicians they have because at the end of the day if your going to buy a m tronic saw from them you want to be 100 percent sure they can properly and efficiently repair it. After all the saw is only as good as the dealer that stands behind it!

Solenoid valve issues , the shop you referenced earlier has a bunch of parts changers not mechanics , I advise you find another dealer ! The carbs are not the issue , simple valve swap and manual recalibration is all that’s necessary to restore proper performance. The valves overtime leak internally and no longer close seeping fuel on the low end causing the saw to slowly load up at idle, if left go long enough you will notice the poor performance on the high end as well due to the valve leaking through out the saws entire power band. In today’s day an age of electronic saws you need to choose your dealers very carefully, don’t be afraid to ask to talk to a technician or technicians they have because at the end of the day if your going to buy a m tronic saw from them you want to be 100 percent sure they can properly and efficiently repair it. After all the saw is only as good as the dealer that stands behind it!
I really appreciate this information shortfuze.
I have used 3 different stihl dealers in my area with no luck until recently...One of the dealers got a new technician and he has fixed the saws properly. Even though he fixed them this particular technician recommended using the saws that do not have the computer carbs

I started using the 193T almost one year ago and it has run perfectly. I fine tuned the carb only once and pulled the spark arrestor.
Plenty of power with a 14” bar and very balanced and light weight
I definitely isn’t as powerful as the ms201tcm but I like it....No down time !!!

I really appreciate this information shortfuze.
I have used 3 different stihl dealers in my area with no luck until recently...One of the dealers got a new technician and he has fixed the saws properly. Even though he fixed them this particular technician recommended using the saws that do not have the computer carbs

I started using the 193T almost one year ago and it has run perfectly. I fine tuned the carb only once and pulled the spark arrestor.
Plenty of power with a 14” bar and very balanced and light weight
I definitely isn’t as powerful as the ms201tcm but I like it....No down time !!!
Buy a new solenoid if that dont work buy a new carb then you can trouble shoot your own saws without going there with a simple swap of one or both.

Stihl certainly has had issues with solenoid valves. Not all of them, but an unacceptably high percentage. The shop where I work sells $1M + in Stihl whole goods per year and I replace a solenoid valve every week or so. Not a bad average, but a higher incidence of failure than we should expect from Stihl.
The first generation MTronic fuel solenoids are prone to leakage. No whining, no excuses. This problem became apparent about a year into serious production of MTronic saws. For some reason, it seems to be almost exclusively on MS201's. The same solenoid valve was used on the larger saws too and I see very few of them fail, and I'll come back to this later. When the solenoid valve begins to leak, the saw's idle becomes erratic to non-existant, and the high end performance suffers.
I have a quick (not Stihl approved) test for possible solenoid valve failure: I start the saw with the throttle latched in the "triangle" position and run it at mid-throttle for about 10 seconds. I then idle it down and see if the idle is stable. If it falls on its face, runs rich. or dies, I move onto test #2. I then squeeze the trigger to full throttle and pull the rope. If the saw starts, it probably has a leaking solenoid valve. Remember, this is a strato-charged engine and they HATE to start at full throttle- it makes them go full lean by opening the throttle far enough to open the air-only strato side of the throttle valve.
If my quick test shows possible solenoid valve leakage, I then follow Stihl's solenoid valve test procedure to confirm my suspicion. Their test is 100% correct and accurate, but takes about 5 minutes to set up and perform. I can test a solenoid valve in about 20 seconds with my test and then decide if I move on to the "official" test. If you don't have SDS (Stihl Diagnostic Software) because you're not a dealer, you can't do the "official" test because you have to electronically operate the solenoid valve to pressure test it.
If I encounter a leaking valve, it gets replaced. No surprize there! There are 2 bits of good news about this: #1 is that the solenoid valve is a federally recognized emissions component and carries a 2 year parts and labor warranty. Even if Stihl's unit warranty has expired on the powerhead, the solenoid valve may still be covered. Once the solenoid valve has been replaced, I use SDS to reset the saw to its factory settings so it runs properly. If you don't have SDS, you can just go cut with the saw and it will readjust itself, it just takes longer for it to start running properly.
Stihl is aware of this issue, and any competent tech should be too. Stihl recently redesigned the solenoid valves and replaced the teflon valve disc with a stainless steel valve. The old style solenoid valves are black, the new ones are white. Unfortunately, they are not interchangable. You can't put the new style valve in an older saw. So far, I've only seen one leaking new style valve, and that was early into the production run. I am hopeful that this will be a lasting positive change.
One other issue is that I see patterns of valve failures in saws that are not well-maintained. Saws that have lots of debris in the fuel tank seem to often have leaking solenoid valves. We all have crap in our fuel tanks, but conscientious owners occasionally clean it out and replace the fuel filter. How much fine debris is getting past the fuel filter and causing premature failure of solenoid valves? Stihl has a new fuel filter #0000-350-3518 that is specifically for MTronic saws. Other than the orange-colored filter media, I don't know what the difference is. If I replace a solenoid valve, I clean the tank and replace the fuel filter. Perhaps a little routine maintenance will go a long way toward dependability.
Now, getting back to something I said early on. The solenoid valves are the same across the MTronic product line, but I see more failures in MS201's than all other saws combined. Is this because of the MS201's small displacement compared to other models? If a solenoid valve is leaking, it'll affect a lower displacement saw more than a higher displacement saw. Or, is it something else, such as a higher frequency of vibration from a high-revving saw damaging the valves? I don't really know. I suspect the larger saws aren't affected by a small solenoid valve leak AS MUCH as a lower displacement saw. I welcome you input on this one.
No matter what, MTronic or other electronic engine management systems are here for the foreseeable future until we get program fuel injection. I personally love the MTronic system- my MS261 freaking rocks! And it has been flawless for 5 years. I personally don't miss points and condenders, the Tyrannosaurus Rex, and lots of other old things. The new technology runs great. I, as an older guy, have to adapt and learn, or die off. I have made my choice, how about you?

Stihl has a new fuel filter #0000-350-3518 that is specifically for MTronic saws. Other than the orange-colored filter media, I don't know what the difference is.

The orange fuel filters have a much finer filter material. The old white ones had 30 micron and the newer orange ones have 15 micron. They came first on the BR 500, 550, 600, 700 line as far as I know.

Stihl certainly has had issues with solenoid valves. Not all of them, but an unacceptably high percentage. The shop where I work sells $1M + in Stihl whole goods per year and I replace a solenoid valve every week or so. Not a bad average, but a higher incidence of failure than we should expect from Stihl.
The first generation MTronic fuel solenoids are prone to leakage. No whining, no excuses. This problem became apparent about a year into serious production of MTronic saws. For some reason, it seems to be almost exclusively on MS201's. The same solenoid valve was used on the larger saws too and I see very few of them fail, and I'll come back to this later. When the solenoid valve begins to leak, the saw's idle becomes erratic to non-existant, and the high end performance suffers.
I have a quick (not Stihl approved) test for possible solenoid valve failure: I start the saw with the throttle latched in the "triangle" position and run it at mid-throttle for about 10 seconds. I then idle it down and see if the idle is stable. If it falls on its face, runs rich. or dies, I move onto test #2. I then squeeze the trigger to full throttle and pull the rope. If the saw starts, it probably has a leaking solenoid valve. Remember, this is a strato-charged engine and they HATE to start at full throttle- it makes them go full lean by opening the throttle far enough to open the air-only strato side of the throttle valve.
If my quick test shows possible solenoid valve leakage, I then follow Stihl's solenoid valve test procedure to confirm my suspicion. Their test is 100% correct and accurate, but takes about 5 minutes to set up and perform. I can test a solenoid valve in about 20 seconds with my test and then decide if I move on to the "official" test. If you don't have SDS (Stihl Diagnostic Software) because you're not a dealer, you can't do the "official" test because you have to electronically operate the solenoid valve to pressure test it.
If I encounter a leaking valve, it gets replaced. No surprize there! There are 2 bits of good news about this: #1 is that the solenoid valve is a federally recognized emissions component and carries a 2 year parts and labor warranty. Even if Stihl's unit warranty has expired on the powerhead, the solenoid valve may still be covered. Once the solenoid valve has been replaced, I use SDS to reset the saw to its factory settings so it runs properly. If you don't have SDS, you can just go cut with the saw and it will readjust itself, it just takes longer for it to start running properly.
Stihl is aware of this issue, and any competent tech should be too. Stihl recently redesigned the solenoid valves and replaced the teflon valve disc with a stainless steel valve. The old style solenoid valves are black, the new ones are white. Unfortunately, they are not interchangable. You can't put the new style valve in an older saw. So far, I've only seen one leaking new style valve, and that was early into the production run. I am hopeful that this will be a lasting positive change.
One other issue is that I see patterns of valve failures in saws that are not well-maintained. Saws that have lots of debris in the fuel tank seem to often have leaking solenoid valves. We all have crap in our fuel tanks, but conscientious owners occasionally clean it out and replace the fuel filter. How much fine debris is getting past the fuel filter and causing premature failure of solenoid valves? Stihl has a new fuel filter #0000-350-3518 that is specifically for MTronic saws. Other than the orange-colored filter media, I don't know what the difference is. If I replace a solenoid valve, I clean the tank and replace the fuel filter. Perhaps a little routine maintenance will go a long way toward dependability.
Now, getting back to something I said early on. The solenoid valves are the same across the MTronic product line, but I see more failures in MS201's than all other saws combined. Is this because of the MS201's small displacement compared to other models? If a solenoid valve is leaking, it'll affect a lower displacement saw more than a higher displacement saw. Or, is it something else, such as a higher frequency of vibration from a high-revving saw damaging the valves? I don't really know. I suspect the larger saws aren't affected by a small solenoid valve leak AS MUCH as a lower displacement saw. I welcome you input on this one.
No matter what, MTronic or other electronic engine management systems are here for the foreseeable future until we get program fuel injection. I personally love the MTronic system- my MS261 freaking rocks! And it has been flawless for 5 years. I personally don't miss points and condenders, the Tyrannosaurus Rex, and lots of other old things. The new technology runs great. I, as an older guy, have to adapt and learn, or die off. I have made my choice, how about you?

Thank you Stihldoc. Very helpful and informative.

Back