MS241 MS250 024 shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKDoug

Pro Staff
Reaction score
I got my first MS241 in yesterday. I decided to fire it up and run it a bit. I'll sell it as a demo saw with a discount in the future. I also own two 024's and a 025 chassis with MS250 engine and WT215 carb.

All three are pretty similar in size. Weights, fully fueled and oiled, with 16" B&C. The 024 and 025 are running .325 RS chain, the MS241 is running a PS3 Picco B&C. I weighed my 024 with regular handle bar. The one in the following videos is the faster of the two but it has a modified 3/4 wrap that my kid threw on it.

Weights were :
024 14.1lbs
MS241 13.7lbs
MS250 13.4 lbs

You can watch the videos and make whatever judgements you want. The 024 and the MS241 in this video are on their first tanks of gas (recently rebuilt the 024). I can tell I need to richen up the 024 a bit. The MS250 is a screamer with that new $30 carb. It's going to be a hard sell to get folks to pony up another $200 for the MS241.

The MS 241 has far superior filtration, AV, and m-tronic. That may make it worth it to many people. I have a bunch of 025's and MS250's in use in my area and if you keep on top of maintenance they will last a long, long time.

I had a fleet of 025/250 saws and I flipped them to Picco from .325. Narrower kerf, cuts faster. I later sold them all and replaced them with 026s and never looked back. With the price of a 261 only $50 more, I cannot see the 241 ever selling like hot cakes. I have not tried the 251 yet. I like the 211 though. Way better than the 210 that it replaced.

I found out yesterday that I can get none EZ-start 251's, so I'll be ordering a few in the near future. They will also retail for about $10 less than the comparable MS250. They weigh a bit more, though.

Yah, the 251 is now at the low end of the mid range saws, instead of being at the top of the low end range like the 250. So it gets more weight with a larger frame. But it has a white plastic handle, and some other features that look better than the 250. The 250 was a pretty buzzy saw for its size, not the best AV. The 251 should be miles ahead for AV. And for $10 less? Not bad.

Looking locally at saw prices, I think the 171 is a deal at $180 on sale (usually $200). The EZ saws I would avoid, so no 181EZ or 211EZ for me. Then the 251 is actually $20 less than the 250 price here at $339. The 271 is $410 here. The 291 is the top of that line and $460. A 261C-M is $610. No 241s listed here yet, but they seem to be listing at the $550 price level. I can see where the 251 would sell pretty well, for what it is priced at.

Nice video. I likewise has a 025 for 20+ years and loved it for what it was. Light and powerful enough to handle a 16" bar in hardwoods. It finally gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a ne346 and never looked back.That 346 kinda got me hooked on Husky for now.:) But I will always have a place in my heart for Stihl saws.

The only people that will buy the 241 are those that appreciate quality. Unfortunately, that's not most American I'm afraid. Most people just want the cheapest to get the job done.
Well, it could also be that not everyone has the extra dough to spend on "quality", and instead need to consider value.

Well, it could also be that not everyone has the extra dough to spend on "quality", and instead need to consider value.

I have to agree. The 241 and the 251 are both 3HP saws. The 251 is a heck of a lot cheaper. Not everyone needs M-tronic or the other bells and whistles of a pro saw.

And if you were to look at the weight to HP ratio... the MS 250 is not a bad performer either. With the Walbro Wt215 carb and a muffler mod... they cut. My eye's were opened to the MS250 last week when I put that carb on one.. 16" fully buried in hardwood and you could actually pull up. Told the gentleman I sold the saw to... this is a good saw. Wouldn't trade it for my 346, but there not a bad saw at all!

The boy just informed me that the MS250 is running an early 025 muffler. It's not modded, but it sure seems better than the MS250 muffler. I agree, westcoaster, that the 250 sounds a little lean in the video, but it was 4-stroking right before that. It holds RPM in the cut much better than the 024. I think the 024 is losing speed due to getting a little lean. I'm going to play with them this weekend. No problem Huskstihl, I always appreciate funnies :D... Gonna run my SP125 this weekend to get my manliness back up.

The boy just informed me that the MS250 is running an early 025 muffler. It's not modded, but it sure seems better than the MS250 muffler. I agree, westcoaster, that the 250 sounds a little lean in the video, but it was 4-stroking right before that. It holds RPM in the cut much better than the 024. I think the 024 is losing speed due to getting a little lean. I'm going to play with them this weekend. No problem Huskstihl, I always appreciate funnies :D... Gonna run my SP125 this weekend to get my manliness back up.

it's a bit lean on the low anyways. hard to tell on the high

I'd like to take advantage of the knowledge base here. I know someone who wants to sell a MS 250C. He says it is in great shape, but he also says it has not been run in 2 yrs. He said it has some sort of a stored energy start system, starts after you release the pull cord???

I think he wants too much for it ($200), but I may check it out after tax season. What can you guys tell me are good or bad about this saw? Is it easy to get them to run stronger?

Thanks, MustangMike

I'd like to take advantage of the knowledge base here. I know someone who wants to sell a MS 250C. He says it is in great shape, but he also says it has not been run in 2 yrs. He said it has some sort of a stored energy start system, starts after you release the pull cord???

I think he wants too much for it ($200), but I may check it out after tax season. What can you guys tell me are good or bad about this saw? Is it easy to get them to run stronger?

Thanks, MustangMike

you own a 362 so don't waste your money on a 250.

Thanks, MustangMike
Too much money, and the "stored energy" thing is called EZ start. I hate that starting system and wouldn't recommend it unless you have a physical need for it.

Thank you to the OP as I have been wanting to see just this shootout. I ran a buddy's ms250 with a 16" .325 and muff modded against my stock 024, with a 16".325 setup as well, a few years ago. The 024 had more topend and felt like a much better made saw to me. No doubt the 241 is much better than both. But I'd still take an 026 for the torque advantage considering it is close to the same weight.

I would easily choose a 026 in great shape over any of those saws.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

Latest posts

Back