MS241 MS250 024 shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you get a 251 and put exactly the same drive sprocket and chain and bar on I am kind of curious. Doesn't the 250 also use the same drum and sprocket and bar mount as that 241? .325 chain and bar are heavier than picco so hard to judge the weight business.

Yes, the 250 does use the same bar mount as the 241. The clutch drum is shared with the 231/251 though, so I can't just switch it over from the 250 I have. Since the 251 is 1.8# heavier than the 250, it will be marginally heavier than the 241 also.

It will be a while before I get more 251's, so don't hold your breath. They aren't a hot seller in my store like the 250 is, and I have quite a few 250's left. I probably won't order 251's until my big stock order in April or May.

Why not weigh the saws empty, PHO. That provides a baseline and an even starting point.

I have many hours on an 025 and they aren't as bad as some make them out to be. They have repectable power for their weight and are sturdy and well built.

I think he wants too much for it ($200), but I may check it out after tax season. What can you guys tell me are good or bad about this saw? Is it easy to get them to run stronger?
Thanks, MustangMike

I sell MS250s all the time here at $200-$250 and get asked for more at that price point.... New is $370 here and they actually run pretty well when tuned correctly. Muffler modded with a sharp chain.. it will fill the truck pretty fast!

Yes, the 250 does use the same bar mount as the 241. The clutch drum is shared with the 231/251 though, so I can't just switch it over from the 250 I have. Since the 251 is 1.8# heavier than the 250, it will be marginally heavier than the 241 also.

It will be a while before I get more 251's, so don't hold your breath. They aren't a hot seller in my store like the 250 is, and I have quite a few 250's left. I probably won't order 251's until my big stock order in April or May.

There may well be issues in the stihl literature about those clutch drums. My 251 has the 1123 007 1030 Sprocket kit picco 7 on it that has been stated on this site was/is good for the 250 on here and comes up as such when putting that number into google. The literature indicates the 231,241,251 are dedicated pieces and the six tooth spur has no part number and doesn't exist yet but if you argue with the guy, not the girl at the John Deere dealership eventually I ended up holding such an item. What are those letters your mileage may vary.

I see 250 at 10.1 pounds and 251 at 10.8 pounds power head only http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/homeowner-saws/ for the non easy start, non easy chain tension versions.

There may well be issues in the stihl literature about those clutch drums. My 251 has the 1123 007 1030 Sprocket kit picco 7 on it that has been stated on this site was/is good for the 250 on here and comes up as such when putting that number into google. The literature indicates the 231,241,251 are dedicated pieces and the six tooth spur has no part number and doesn't exist yet but if you argue with the guy, not the girl at the John Deere dealership eventually I ended up holding such an item. What are those letters your mileage may vary.

I see 250 at 10.1 pounds and 251 at 10.8 pounds power head only http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/homeowner-saws/ for the non easy start, non easy chain tension versions.
Yes, you are right. I hit the EZ start weight. I have the 6t number right here... 1143 640 2000, it's in the current IPL for the 241. 1143 007 1002 is the part number for the Picco 7T rim sprocket kit on the 251, I have no clue what is different than the 250. Stihl has dropped the ball on the 231/251 IPL and not listed any sprocket part numbers at all for them. On my computer I can look at a part number and see what models it is used for. There are many times that a part doesn't show up in the IPL for one machine, but show up in the IPL of another machine when I look at what machines the part number is used on.

Interesting I saw that picco rim kit number in the paper catalog when they special ordered to set the saw up as desired. That was before the 241 was available. From the pictures on here looking at the sticker on the front they waited until they made/assemble the 241 in Virginia to offer it here.

I took a 251 sprocket off and compared it to a 250 sprocket....the damned things look like they'll work on a 251...i think they just want you to have to stock more crap doug.

I took a 251 sprocket off and compared it to a 250 sprocket....the damned things look like they'll work on a 251...i think they just want you to have to stock more crap doug.
Very well could be. However, until I take a caliper to the thing and convince myself they are the same, I will be selling the recommended parts. Keeps me for paying for mistakes that way ;)

Why not weigh the saws empty, PHO. That provides a baseline and an even starting point.

I have many hours on an 025 and they aren't as bad as some make them out to be. They have repectable power for their weight and are sturdy and well built.
Because my 025 and 024 were already fueled and ready to go. I love this place and like sharing info, but I ain't taking the time to pull off the bars/chains and draining the fuel/oil to get a PHO weight. Besides, I've yet to figure out how to cut wood with an empty saw without a chain ;) I want to know what they weigh when it's time to go to work.

nmurph- Please accept my apologies. I was a little grumpy posting that.

Anyhow, I took the time to take a set of calipers to a 1123 640 2074 drum sprocket for a 250 and a 1143 640 2000 drum sprocket off the 241 (which is the same for the 251).. The differences are very small and might very well be insignificant, but they are measurable. The overall depth is .020" more on the 241 drum, and the depth of the drum itself is .020" more on the 241 drum. Overall diameter on the 241 drum (inside and outside) is also around .016" larger. I have no clue on their manufacturing tolerances for these parts, so I don't know if every one is going to be that way.

I just layed em side by side on my counter and eyeballed...my crap vision probly couldnt see a .020 difference. Nice comparison videos by the way...the 3/4 on the 024 is bitchin

I just layed em side by side on my counter and eyeballed...my crap vision probly couldnt see a .020 difference. Nice comparison videos by the way...the 3/4 on the 024 is bitchin
I did too, until I laid a straight edge across them. I could see light, so out came the calipers. My 17 y.o. son put the 3/4 wrap on that saw after we discovered the one on it was bent. He tried to straighten it and it broke. The 3/4 came of 460 and only required one hole in the bottom of the handle to be drilled.

Hell with stocking another part for only .020...run the 1123 sprocket then write a warranty when it wrecks something...

I love reviving dead threads. I love the 241. It's so light. When doing extensive limbing/processing small stuff, it's a great saw to have in your hands all day. I got the last one on the shelf in Michigan. When cutting 10" hardwood, my 241 w/ Picco outcuts my Dad's 261 with .325. The extra pound makes a difference. I picked up a clean, solid 024 for $100- and I'm about to convert it to picco. I'll see how it compares to the 241. On paper it should be similar. So far, I've noticed the 024 oils much more generously

I have to agree. The 241 and the 251 are both 3HP saws. The 251 is a heck of a lot cheaper. Not everyone needs M-tronic or the other bells and whistles of a pro saw.
But, that's why I still use my Stihl 026 PRO. If you can find one in good shape, it's still a best buy in my book. Mine keeps going and going and going...

Latest posts

Back