MS241C Discontinued 2+ years ago?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see 4,5 vs. 4,9 kg for MS 241C-M and MS 261C-M v2, which is indeed almost a pound, or am I missing something? https://www.stihl.de/STIHL-Produkte/Motorsägen-und-Kettensägen/01582/Sägen-für-die-Forstwirtschaft.aspx

I compared the "Arctic" versions, which is natural here - and then the numbers in kg are 4.9 vs. 5.1.

Something is up with the adverticed numbers though, as the unheated 241 is listed at 4.5 kg here as well. I doubt that the heating weights .4 kg on the 241, so something likely is wrong with the numbers. The number for the unheated 261 is 4.9, and .2 kg for the heating is normal with Stihl saws.

That’s what I hear. Going to switch to PS and 18” Picco E bar.

Be aware that the 3005 mount bars are considerably shorter than "called", regardless if they are .325 or Picco.

If memory serves the "18 inch" ones are just over 16" from the front of the crank-case to the top of a cutter at the tip (which is how bar length should be measured). Effective cutting length will be shorter, particularly with dawgs on the saw.

Those bars are just an exemple, there are a lot of "sloppiness"/deception out there regarding the called length of bars and the associated chain loops.

I had both and the 241 feel way better for limbing! Dont forget the 241 uses a Picco bar and chain.
In stock form they'll pull 325 just fine, and are often set up that way here and the UK.

I run a 16" sugi bar with standard kerf 325 on a ported 241. I forget if its 64 or 68. They are very zippy saws even for their displacement.

Will a "real" bar fit the smaller mount of the 241?

The Cannon Supermini bars may be a candidate - but I haven't checked the available dl counts lately?

A true 18" bar should take about 67 dl in 3/8" - but it will vary a little with the saw model involved and sprocket sizes (as always).

The Cannon super mini does, .325 .050 gauge, 74DL. 72 DL for 18” on the 346.

View attachment 742729

A 74 dl .325 bar hardly is a true 18" bar, but it is getting reasonably close. The 72 dl Husky mount (K095 etc) bars definitely are short for the called length, about a full inch short.

The 66 dl ones also is a bit short for the called 16", while the 64 dl ones are pretty much spot on for their called 15". Somehow the difference between 66 and 64 dl seems to be just what mostly is needed around here though, so most of my K095 bars are the 66dl variety.

A 74 dl .325 bar hardly is a true 18" bar, but it is getting reasonably close. The 72 dl Husky mount (K095 etc) bars definitely are short for the called length, about a full inch short.

The 66 dl ones also is a bit short for the called 16", while the 64 dl ones are pretty much spot on for their called 15". Somehow the difference between 66 and 64 dl seems to be just what mostly is needed around here though, so most of my K095 bars are the 66dl variety.

Ok if you insist.

102CB304-4626-4342-B808-C5091A3DC37B.jpeg

There always are a lot of variables involved when discussing bar length. A slim (top to bottom) bar like the Supermini (with a small diameter nose sprocket) will of course be a bit longer for a given dl count than a wider one - and there are other factors involved in the end result as well, like the drive sprocket size, the exact saw model, and the exact chain length (which dictates the position of the chain tension adjuster, and thereby how far forward the bar is). Some times a dl more or less than the recommended number could (or even should) be used.

Btw, the bar should be measured from the front of the case and not the clutch cover - but it doesn't always matter much. I don't know how it is with that saw though.

You are right about a .325 k095 18" bar.....at least this one. Bought it as an 18" bar, have an 8 pin on the saw with a 73dl chain which is just about right. I have the same bar in 16" and my 66dl chains will just barely fit with the 8 pin but there is no adjustment in the tensioner....I think 67dl would be better.

This is the 18" bar....
20190702_182531.jpg

You are right about a .325 k095 18" bar.....at least this one. Bought it as an 18" bar, have an 8 pin on the saw with a 73dl chain which is just about right. I have the same bar in 16" and my 66dl chains will just barely fit with the 8 pin but there is no adjustment in the tensioner....I think 67dl would be better.

This is the 18" bar....
View attachment 744613

That makes sense; Generally one extra dl will be needed with a 9-pin vs. a 7-pin - but if it should be added when going from 7 to 8 or when going from 8 to 9 will vary, and to a degree optional.
Most of the saw/bar combinations I have used don't really need an extra dl with an 8-pin - but it surely is an option on some.

Back