MS250 dumb question - need to remove handle to take carb off ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drain the gas or you might get a face full of it when you pull the gas line off.

Have a golf ball ‘T’ handy.
4ba99a75a4f737b3a2a9e569b9a94d19.jpg

This may be a dumb question, but how do I remove the top piece of the handle on a MS250 so I can free up the throttle linkage and get the carb off so I can clean the crud out ?
Like HarleyT said! Just squeeze the trigger and it pushes the linkage bar forward and you can pop it up and out with a screwdriver or needle nose pliers!
The chain is a .325 pitch .063 gauge!
If you end up having trouble with the carb you can buy a brand new one on eBay for $9-12 dollars!
Make sure to change the “impulse” line as well when you change fuel lines! That’s the harder one to get to, but not that bad once you figure it out!

Success !!!
I got the carb off, hit it with carb cleaner spray after taking it apart, and reassembled.
The saw fired right up and runs good, of course after a day of cutting it'll screw up again and be plugged with crud and need to be taken apart again.
I wish the 250 had the power my 310 does, would be perfect to have that power in a lightweight package and able to run a 20" bar.
I checked the side to side wobble of the .063 special chain for the 250 in the bar, then put on a Poulan .325 with .050 thick drivers, and the wobble feels the same, I think if I am careful, I can use up the three Poulan chains I have on hand as long as I can keep the engine running.

The saw fired right up and runs good, of course after a day of cutting it'll screw up again and be plugged with crud and need to be taken apart again.

If that happens I'd examine your O P E operation and maintenance habits before dismissing the saw as being at fault. Once you've worked on them a time or two they're very pleasant saws to work on. Of the homeowner saws I'd say the 250 is one of the easiest and most robust in Stihl's lineup.

If the fuel line is still in good shape, not gummy,cracked or swollen up then a new fuel filter should keep the crud from reaching the carb. Dump the fuel in the tank and clean it at the same time when installing a new fuel filter, should be good for a couple more years.

We got a bit what was it, last Monday? or was it like Thursday? Almanac says it'll be a warmer than average, wet winter.

Latest posts

Back