MS250 Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ittybittyfitty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up an MS250 for cutting up smaller stuff and limbing. Plus it was on sale which never hurts. I got it with the 18" b&c. My other saws are mostly Echos which come notoriously lean and benefit from muffler mods and richening the carb. Is the MS250, or non mtronic stihls for that matter, the same way? Should I be looking into doing a MM for this saw, or something else?

It is just carb limiter caps and muffler outlet size. Find an 0ld 025 muffler and compare the outlet hole sizes. BTW, the mufflers are now edge sealed cans which makes modding (and cleaning out the chips afterwards) a real PITA. Best to just find an old 025 muffler.

They definitely suffer from a choked muffler. I did an extensive mod on the muffler from mine (A 230 with a 250 top end) and it added a lot of power. A good chain makes a big difference as well, I'm using the new Stihl 23 RS pro which I am very happy with.

Did some cutting today with it, in this case some well seasoned ash. The piece in the picture was just a bit wider than the reach of the 16 inch bar, but the saw had no problems cutting through it without struggling. It took two of us to lift that piece, it was that heavy. So a good all around saw that you don't have to limit to smaller stuff.IMG_20200926_170405.jpg

Thanks guys, I'll look into finding an 025 muffler and pulling the limiter caps. I'll keep the stock muffler stock in case of warranty issues (bought the oil for an extra year). This seems to be a great saw for the size and money spent.

Thanks guys, I'll look into finding an 025 muffler and pulling the limiter caps.
The muffler that you want has a .642" x .865" opening under the spark screen. There were multiple versions.

I'll keep the stock muffler stock in case of warranty issues (bought the oil for an extra year).
The dealers are on to this trick. If the muffler doesn't look like the same usage as the rest of the saw they will call you out.

This seems to be a great saw for the size and money spent.

If you haven't run this yet you might consider swapping the B&C from 0.325" to 3/8" LP (Stihl Pico) it will cut even better with a narrower kerf. Should be a zero dollar swap.

So you are saying the dealer will swap me out for my .325 b&c?
He should provided that you haven't used the .325 yet. All of the smaller saws in that series came factory stock with 3/8" LP. Why they put .325 on the 250 is unknown. May not have wanted to out cut a MS260 pro saw. And yes, there is an 18" bar available for 3/8" LP. The saw will also balance better with the 18" LP setup. Lots of other threads on here about running 3/8" LP on this and similar sized saws.

What about an 18" .325 narrow kerf set up, would it still not be as good as the 3/8LP?
Is the .325 NK available in the states yet? Right now I think it is pretty proprietary to Stihl. That being said I think that you will have a much larger choice of replacement chains (and at a lower cost) with 3/8" LP which is an industry standard.

Oregon makes a NK .325 b&c for the 250. Yeah lp is probably the way to go i was just wondering if the .325 nk would be better yet.

Yesterday I picked up an MS250 for cutting up smaller stuff and limbing. Plus it was on sale which never hurts. I got it with the 18" b&c. My other saws are mostly Echos which come notoriously lean and benefit from muffler mods and richening the carb. Is the MS250, or non mtronic stihls for that matter, the same way? Should I be looking into doing a MM for this saw, or something else?
Just leave it stock.

Latest posts

Back