MS250 or Husky 435?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yo_marc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all - first post. Great site and I love all of the info available here.

I am looking for a recommendation for a good 16" homeowner-grade saw. In my immediate future, I have a handful of 8" trees I'd like to take down, and potentially some large limbs on an old maple. I don't burn firewood, but I have family that does; it's be nice if I could help them limb, buck, etc. This will likely be an only saw for me. I'm on the fence whether I want to say I am looking for an all around saw, or something on the lighter end.

Was looking at saws like the MS180 through 211, and Husqvarna 120 mk2 through 435. My local dealer was talking me into a MS250, which I thought might be a bit much for what I was looking to do - however, who doesn't want more power? I kind of had my sights set on a Husky 435. I like the price of the 435, like the feel, balance, weight, and features. However compared to the MS250 the exterior quality does not look up to par - it looks an entire range below in my opinion. That makes me wonder how the saw will hold up over time. On the other side I understand the 250 is an older design - rubber-mount (not spring), non strat, standard air filtration, etc. Price wise, the MS250 is going for $360, the 435 for $270. Not insignificant.

If you had to pick one of the two, what would you do?

My first saw was an ms180c and I loved it. I don’t know anything about either but it those were my choices I’d pick the stihl every time. Husky has a lot of fans here too. You really need a 70cc pro saw though, Don’t believe me? Hang around here for a while! Wanna save your wallet and not end up with cad? Delete your account while you still have a chance.

I gave my wife a 180CE as bit of a joke, but I've made full length bar cuts in oak with it.
The chain was sharp and I had to let it self-feed, otherwise the clutch would start slipping.
Most of my saws are 50+ cc pro saws, but for a small displacement homeowner saw the 180C is a solid option.
They aren't as easy to work on as some saws and that combined with their low price I've has resulted in some saw shop gifts.
More often than not it was a ethanol problem with the carburetor.

I had a 435 for a wile, its truly a home owners saw. Made for occasional use. Plenty of power, and very easy to start. I gave it to a friend after it gave me some grief. (Was fixed under warranty) its served him well for years now. The ms250 can be hard to pull over when starting. Idk if the new models are a bugger or just the older ones. My neighbor has the easy start on his, works well. The saw is a pretty good runner.

Hi all - first post. Great site and I love all of the info available here.

I am looking for a recommendation for a good 16" homeowner-grade saw. In my immediate future, I have a handful of 8" trees I'd like to take down, and potentially some large limbs on an old maple. I don't burn firewood, but I have family that does; it's be nice if I could help them limb, buck, etc. This will likely be an only saw for me. I'm on the fence whether I want to say I am looking for an all around saw, or something on the lighter end.

Was looking at saws like the MS180 through 211, and Husqvarna 120 mk2 through 435. My local dealer was talking me into a MS250, which I thought might be a bit much for what I was looking to do - however, who doesn't want more power? I kind of had my sights set on a Husky 435. I like the price of the 435, like the feel, balance, weight, and features. However compared to the MS250 the exterior quality does not look up to par - it looks an entire range below in my opinion. That makes me wonder how the saw will hold up over time. On the other side I understand the 250 is an older design - rubber-mount (not spring), non strat, standard air filtration, etc. Price wise, the MS250 is going for $360, the 435 for $270. Not insignificant.

If you had to pick one of the two, what would you do?

I'd look for an echo 590 or 490 that are better built saws for near the same price as an ms 250. The 250 is a good saw though and I would take it over the 435 if those are the only choices.

My first saw was an ms180c and I loved it. I don’t know anything about either but it those were my choices I’d pick the stihl every time. Husky has a lot of fans here too. You really need a 70cc pro saw though, Don’t believe me? Hang around here for a while! Wanna save your wallet and not end up with cad? Delete your account while you still have a chance.
Can confirm. Started with an ms250 (sold), then a ms261, now am eternally debating ms462 vs ms400 as a second saw.

Really appreciate the feedback (and humor!) everyone. I haven't given the Echo's a good look, but am really impressed with the features of the 490 - especially if I can get one on one of those 1-day sales.

I'm shopping at my local power-equipment dealer, so was rather narrowly looking at the Husky and Stihl options there. I should have mentioned they were also suggesting the Husky 445 and 450 if I recall correctly. I quickly handled them in a big box store, but dismissed them because I thought they were bigger/bulkier than I needed. I'm trying to be honest with myself about what-kind and the amount of use the saw will get, but balancing that with, "buy once, cry once". (Until CAD hits...) I am really open to any/all suggestions.

I should also ask - Are the saws in big box stores built any different than what I'd get at a power-equipment dealer? I'm all about buying from and building relationships with the people who will service my equipment if/as needed, so am just curious.

Well the box store stuff is typically aimed at home owner uses. Not to say the dealer won't have some of the same saws, but it is nice to buy from the dealer. On a side note, my cousin had a 455 rancher and swears by it. He doesn't use it terrible hard, amd its served him well.

Many people find the MS250 a beast to start. Mine certainly is.
Nice saw when its running.
In Stihl's line-up the MS180 sounds like a good match for your needs. Never run one myself, but have seen a few run and they did ok. I've always used Echo's in that size range and been happy with them. CS-352, CS-370 or CS-400 would make good choices sounds like. The Echo's do need to be re-tuned as they are almost always too lean.

For light duty saws I’ve had a 180 at the cabin and a 435 at the house for years, and I’ve cut a lot of wood up to bar length with both...no complaints and I can’t say one would be a clear choice over the other. Around here if you watch the sales you might pick up either one around $200ish.

Really appreciate the feedback (and humor!) everyone. I haven't given the Echo's a good look, but am really impressed with the features of the 490 - especially if I can get one on one of those 1-day sales.

I'm shopping at my local power-equipment dealer, so was rather narrowly looking at the Husky and Stihl options there. I should have mentioned they were also suggesting the Husky 445 and 450 if I recall correctly. I quickly handled them in a big box store, but dismissed them because I thought they were bigger/bulkier than I needed. I'm trying to be honest with myself about what-kind and the amount of use the saw will get, but balancing that with, "buy once, cry once". (Until CAD hits...) I am really open to any/all suggestions.

I should also ask - Are the saws in big box stores built any different than what I'd get at a power-equipment dealer? I'm all about buying from and building relationships with the people who will service my equipment if/as needed, so am just curious.

A Husqvarna is a Husqvarna, whether bought at a dealer or Big Box store.
Lowe’s Only had 4XX series saws, and not all of them at that, I don’t recall ever seeing the 445 at Lowe’s. 4XX Huskies are Home owner grade saws, and dealers carry them too. In my area Coastal Farm and Ranch carry the 4XX series saws but also some 3XX and 5XX saws as well, I have seen 372XP, 550XP, 562XP and 572XP’s, all of which are Pro Grade Saws

Don’t automatically ASSume, that you will get a better price at a Big Box store, my experience has been that they are priced at catalog MSRP, and aren’t able to dicker. I bought my Wife’s 445 at Xtreme Powersports in Okanogan, WA, MSRP was $339.95, I put it on the counter, and they charged me $305, without me even asking about a discount. I added the 3 cans of premix which doubled the warranty from 2 years to 4 years and made the bill $329, which was $10 less than what I would have paid at a Big Box for the saw alone

The 445 was originally a 45.7cc saw, but by 2017 when I bought the Wife’s, it had been upgraded to 50.2cc’s. The 445 has been an excellent saw for it’s intended use, and I have been very Happy with it so far, and if one is looking for a homeowner grade saw, it is worth looking at, IIRC it has a decomp button to make starting easier, not needed by many, but is still a desirable feature for others

From what I have seen and heard/read, the Husky 4XX saws Hold Up and Perform Better than is often expected

Doug

I bought my 180c for 25$ used, bought a stihl carb at ace for it 28.00 ,loan and use it for 2"-6" stuff.
"Used "you could probably buy them 5 at a time for 200.00$.
Ms250 is a good little homeowner saw ,but if set richcan be a bear to start. The only 435s I have ever encountered were terrible.

Have a 250 here that was junk since new---the owner gave up on it after dealer refused the fact that the saw was defective and gave the saw to me----well I am NOT a Sthil fan to begin with, so the saw laid here in the junkpile for 2 years. One day I got a wild idea to fix it or put it in the garbage cant for the landfill. Took the carb off and you have NO adjustments on it! even broke the plastic caps off and still could not adjust it. ---Ran into a chimna knockoff for $10. so I was game and got one. After putting it on and made ballpark settings---the saw started and did run---not good but was runnin, so got my tool in there and started fine tuning it till it ran good. Been cutting with it now for 6 years--- even used my debarker on it one year.
Problem with it still is the fact that it pulls too damn hard for an old weak guy to start and at times is a bit picky and you have to pour a bit of gas in the carb , then all is good. (no primer bulb on this one)
I use it a lot since I fixed it but the fuel/gas caps are a joke on them!!
Anyway the original factory carb is junk on them---it too was made in china---at least mine was. one side was stamped Zama the other side CHINA!
I have a husky 235 that is a much better saw and my fave is Echo 310! light fast-easy starting and perfect for trimming, brush cutting etc.
I also like the Blue-Max for medium cutting they have been good to us here for many years.

I have a ms250 and a cs3510 and my sthil is pretty hard to beat I've had it for 5 or 6 years never a problem. That being said the cs3510 is lighter and pulling effort to start it is a lot less than the ms250. That 250 can yank back at you pretty hard.

Echo cs-400. Trim the carb limiters and retune it properly, since they come too lean for their own good from the factory (emissions standards compel this), and you’ll be set for what you are looking to do.

You don’t need a 60cc saw like the Echo 590 to do what you are wanting to do here.

Back