MS261 bar and chain changhe advice/ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly the 261 is a pretty good versatile saw that can be setup several ways that all work well... I have never ran under an 18" bar on mine and generally use 20 3/8. I use mine for felling bucking. Like the mad professor said the key is having a good sharp chain. I don't really care if its skip, full, or 1/2. Right now I am using skip on it since I buy 100ft rolls and that's what I have for .50 3/8.. I have full and skip for .63 but no smaller .63 bars. I had a 16 on a 026 years ago but for what I use them for its too small. If its 12" or smaller I just use my top handle saws anyhow. A ton of people on here like the 325 and that's fine to. There really isn't a be all end all setup for the saw just run what you like.

finally a man with common sense. This is what I was trying to convey. I apologize to all if I was convoluted.3/8” LP for 201t 3/8” RSF for 261 for me 5/32” file for 201 13/64 or 7/32 for 261

Hopefully he was able to glean some usable info between the **** measuring competition.
I did post my findings through the haze...haha. No point going Picco or less than 18" because of my 201T doing that up to 14". Going for a RM instead of RS chain because of blunting issues with bad/dirty wood and just easier for a 'non' woodsman . Maybe the RM3 .325 if I can source with the light bar as that will offset any cutting gains by going to a 3/8 and not having to get new sharpening tools for the 3/8 and for what I do 3/8 not going to make enough difference so just stick to what Stihl deigned the MS261 to use.

People are quick to show their knowledge and abilities but in some cases on this thread that info did not really match what the OP question was about.... what would be good for me and my use, not what the saw was capable of. However I thank all for having the time to give advice regardless. A forum is no good if no one has anything to say.

I can piss higher with my 026 with a Picco B&C than I could with either a .325 or 3/8 std on it. I did timed cuts using all three setups some years ago now. Think "narrow kerf". The forum I posted that info on is gone now though.

Here is U-toob video of a guy with a bone stock 261 comparing cuts with picco 3/8 low profile vs .325 vs 3/8 standard chain with some variable pin count rims. The picco 3/8 low profile was the clear winner. The .325 was the slowest, as I confirmed with my tests. The fastest timed cuts in oak in the video were as follows:

.325 8 pin rim = 10.7 sec.
.325 7 pin rim = 10.3 sec.
3/8 std. 7 pin rim = 9.6 sec.
PS3 7 pin rim = 8.4 sec.
PS3 8 pin rim = 7.3 sec.

Switch to picco on a 026/260/261 and you will never look back.

I can piss higher with my 026 with a Picco B&C than I could with either a .325 or 3/8 std on it. I did timed cuts using all three setups some years ago now. Think "narrow kerf". The forum I posted that info on is gone now though.

Here is U-toob video of a guy with a bone stock 261 comparing cuts with picco 3/8 low profile vs .325 vs 3/8 standard chain with some variable pin count rims. The picco 3/8 low profile was the clear winner. The .325 was the slowest, as I confirmed with my tests. The fastest timed cuts in oak in the video were as follows:

.325 8 pin rim = 10.7 sec.
.325 7 pin rim = 10.3 sec.
3/8 std. 7 pin rim = 9.6 sec.
PS3 7 pin rim = 8.4 sec.
PS3 8 pin rim = 7.3 sec.

Switch to picco on a 026/260/261 and you will never look back.

You cannot switch to an 18" Picco though. However the new 261/271s are coming with a narrower kerf .325 1.3mm that will have 18" lengths.

Anyone tried 1/4" on bars >18"? Is chip clearance an issue, like it can be with picco in >18 bars?

If you are going to be cutting larger wood with the 261, go with the 3/8 setup. HOWEVER, if you wind up throwing a lot of limbing into the mix, I highly recommend the new 23RS pro chain Stihl just put out. Fast and very smooth. The only drawback is that you will need to use it with a bar that is suitable for a narrow kerf chain.

If you are going to be cutting larger wood with the 261, go with the 3/8 setup. HOWEVER, if you wind up throwing a lot of limbing into the mix, I highly recommend the new 23RS pro chain Stihl just put out. Fast and very smooth. The only drawback is that you will need to use it with a bar that is suitable for a narrow kerf chain.
The new chains RS pro and RM pro are paired on the new machines with a narrower kerf Light 04 bar. I have just confirmed with Stihl technical looking at their parts diagram for the 'new' MS261 (because no one online has parts breakdowns yet) the Rim Socket remains the same despite the gauge change. Numbers he quoted me are the same as the existing models.

You cannot switch to an 18" Picco though. However the new 261/271s are coming with a narrower kerf .325 1.3mm that will have 18" lengths.

Sorry, that is wrong. They sell 16, 18 and 20 inch 3/8" 0.050 Picco large mount bars in Canada and Europe as kits. They used to sell all of those length bars here in the states on the 024, where I got mine, including the Picco rim for the 026. There is nothing to prevent you from running an 18 inch (or any length) Picco large mount bar on any large mount Stihl saw. Many of the old saw mill guys ran those here on saws up to MS440 size. Logosol made the bars. They still do for the bar kits sold in Canada.

Sorry, that is wrong. They sell 16, 18 and 20 inch 3/8" 0.050 Picco large mount bars in Canada and Europe as kits. They used to sell all of those length bars here in the states on the 024, where I got mine, including the Picco rim for the 026. There is nothing to prevent you from running an 18 inch (or any length) Picco large mount bar on any large mount Stihl saw. Many of the old saw mill guys ran those here on saws up to MS440 size. Logosol made the bars. They still do for the bar kits sold in Canada.
And Cannon do a supermini bar for .325nk and 3/8lp/picco in 18 and 20". The tips were Taiwanese last time I bought 'em. Not sure if they still are and I didn't keep mine long enough to wear a bar out to check how the tips held up. They were on the 241 I sold a while ago. In hindsight, perhaps I should have kept a 20" supermini.

Cannon also do a hard-nose option.

And Cannon do a supermini bar for .325nk and 3/8lp/picco in 18 and 20". The tips were Taiwanese last time I bought 'em. Not sure if they still are and I didn't keep mine long enough to wear a bar out to check how the tips held up. They were on the 241 I sold a while ago. In hindsight, perhaps I should have kept a 20" supermini.

Cannon also do a hard-nose option.

I think that the 241 has a small mount bar. Different than the 024 which was a large Stihl mount like the 206/260/261. Those small mount bars are the same bars as on the 211 that I sent you. I still have my 211. Great little saw.

I found this from my post over on arbtalk (UK arbor site) from 2015 (I have been in this Rodeo before):

Oh yes, and the Stihl part numbers for Picco (low profile) bars with large Stihl mounts are:

16" 3003 000 6313
18" 3003 000 6317
20" 3003 000 6321

Also comparing rims, the 7 pin Picco rim is quite a bit larger than a 7 pin 3/8 std. rim on the 026. Supposedly they do not have a picco rim for a large spline Stihls here, and guys run 3/8 std. spur sprockets to drive them on larger saws.

I think that the 241 has a small mount bar. Different than the 024 which was a large Stihl mount like the 206/260/261. Those small mount bars are the same bars as on the 211 that I sent you. I still have my 211. Great little saw.
Good point. Cannon do various mounts but the 241 and 261 are different. I tried a few laminated picco bars but didn't like them. Too easy to pretzel and hard to straighten out. Never had the same problem with solid picco bars. Might be something about the nut behind the wheel.

Regarding the rims, some guys turn down .404 rims too, if need be.

That little 211 is still kicking. The old man hasn't managed to kill it yet, despite his crazy lack of chain sharpening skills or motivation to learn.

I suppose I was only looking at the Stihl range - https://www.worldofpower.co.uk/stihl-bar-chain-guide
As no 3/8ps were shown in the 18" config I took it as not available. I didn't think to look at outside brands. Only kit I have seen by Stihl is the 16" tuning kit.

https://www.lsengineers.co.uk/stihl-rollomatic-guide-bar-18-3003-000-6317.htmlhttps://www.gardenhirespares.co.uk/3003-000-6317-genuine-stihl-rollomatic-guide-bar-18.html
If you didn't know the product number you certainly were not going to be told on these webpages you were looking at a 3/8p bar.....

Well hopefully my soon to be ordered 18" Light 04 and .325 Rapid Micro chain will do just fine..... If 3/8p would be so much better why are they continuing to push the .325 narrative on these saws, even as a micro now when they could just have moved to 3/8p. Choice for choice sake?? Save face?

Back