MS261 VS MS261 C-M Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm only familiar with the pro level saws, don't know what they do on the others.

A lot of what Stihl does is hard to comprehend, like confusion over R meaning Wrap or Rescue, etc., and L for square file chain????

It is confusing. I say this because I saw a 261c on the shelf. It had the quick stop brake but an adjustable carb. This was a couple years ago. Should've taken a pic.

Hello, I have been prowling this site, since I first purchased my saws for cutting firewood 3 years ago. (MS261c and a MS170 for limbing)

First, I would like to say thanks to all the contributors to this great site. I have learned a lot and hope to learn more and begin to contribute as times goes on.

Second, Now that my saws are out of warranty, I am looking at doing the muffler mod to my MS261c. I made the following prototype deflector out of a piece of SS square tubing and bent it as seen below. It turned out to be too long. So I made a second, but I don't have picture of that one yet since I asked a friend to tig weld the seams on the back for me. He has it right now.

prototype deflector.jpg

prototype deflector 2.jpg

I plan on having a spark screen under the deflector and using jacknuts to hold it on. (like rivnuts only a little different)

Now to verify the information, I think, I have correct.

Doing the muffler mod to the 261c, the m-tronic carb will compensate for the additional air flow and I will not need to re-tune the saw. All I will have to do is start the saw on full choke and let idle for 90 seconds then shut off without touching the throttle to reset the "computer". No need for a tack... just reset and enjoy the extra power... Correct?

Aaron

Now to verify the information, I think, I have correct.

Doing the muffler mod to the 261c, the m-tronic carb will compensate for the additional air flow and I will not need to re-tune the saw. All I will have to do is start the saw on full choke and let idle for 90 seconds then shut off without touching the throttle to reset the "computer". No need for a tack... just reset and enjoy the extra power... Correct?

Aaron
That is exactly right.

Sorry fellas, 4.5 pages exceeds my attention span so 45 is way beyond me. Can I just ask, how'd the stock new edition 261c compare to the modded?
Andrew is soon to test new modded 241c and 261c's so that will help answer a few more questions, but just keen to see where the modded 261c stood compared to a control.
Just curious, is all. I'll hopefully have my monkeyHammered 261c when/if Andrew is finished with it, and we'll all have a few more videos and another comparison to add to the knowledgebase, thanks to Andrew and Randy.

I never got a chance to run a new one against an old one. They just weren't here at the right times.

You be sure to let me know what you think of it.

Funny.....I just replaced a piston in a new type 261 that I did in April. The owner evidently straight gassed it.

Hmm. Straight gassing an m-tronic. I bet that confused the hell out of the module. A "does my butt look big in this dress" moment for it. Damned whatever it does.

If you don't get any feedback from me consider the saw such a success Andrew refuses to put it down.

A monkey hammered 261c is pretty damned special

warning - this sig causes splinters

Sorry fellas, 4.5 pages exceeds my attention span so 45 is way beyond me. Can I just ask, how'd the stock new edition 261c compare to the modded?
Andrew is soon to test new modded 241c and 261c's so that will help answer a few more questions, but just keen to see where the modded 261c stood compared to a control.
Just curious, is all. I'll hopefully have my monkeyHammered 261c when/if Andrew is finished with it, and we'll all have a few more videos and another comparison to add to the knowledgebase, thanks to Andrew and Randy.

I did the vids today
Theres not much in it
First off thinking (with out checking times) the 241 is ported more aggressively than the 261
I think the 241 has had gutted stratto system and ported with Brad Snellings numbers.
Randy can tell us more.
Will post resolts soon.
Cheers

I did the vids today
Theres not much in it
First off thinking (with out checking times) the 241 is ported more aggressively than the 261
I think the 241 has had gutted stratto system and ported with Brad Snellings numbers.
Randy can tell us more.
Will post resolts soon.
Cheers
Thanks. In stock form, the 261 has an advantage, but if it loses that when both are modded, it would at least be consistent with what an earlier thread by Brad noted. I postulated that in dense timber the modded 261 might reclaim a bit of advantage over the 241, but perhaps not. It begs the question what are the differences to the way the two were modded and what might give rise to the loss of advanatge in the modded 261.

I may be holding onto my 241 and selling the 261 if there is not enough performance gain to justify keeping it. Had hoped to flick the 241 but might be the other way around.

Thanks. In stock form, the 261 has an advantage, but if it loses that when both are modded, it would at least be consistent with what an earlier thread by Brad noted. I postulated that in dense timber the modded 261 might reclaim a bit of advantage over the 241, but perhaps not. It begs the question what are the differences to the way the two were modded and what might give rise to the loss of advanatge in the modded 261.

I may be holding onto my 241 and selling the 261 if there is not enough performance gain to justify keeping it. Had hoped to flick the 241 but might be the other way around.

There is so many things to consider,depending on wood,what you use them for and so on.
Maybe put them both in your use and go from there.
I tryed to test them with as fair as base as possible,will explain in the thread.

Yeah, will be putting a bit of time on the 261 before deciding which to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back