MS270 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gspbrct

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
With my ms310 down for service, I've been running my ms270 more frequently. As of late, it seems it's oiling a bit on the light side. I flushed the oil tank with mix, ran it with some diesel for a few minutes & it seemed ok. Cutting wood today, oil flow seemed light again. Any ideas. How do I clean the pickup filter. Is the pump similar to the 310? I've changed the pump in that one before.
Thanks.

Check the bar.... there are small oil holes that distribute oil. Make sure they are not clogged.
Not sure if that bar is the same as the MS250 or the older 025, but yes, the oiler holes have always been too small. And, they might not even line up with the oiler slot. I ran into this mistake on a 290. You could be having the same problem with you 270. If requested, I can post pics.

I used a 280 for cutting a small amount of firewood and kinda like the way it ran, nice power for it's size, sorta like an 028..seemed to oil okay.
I think the 270 was a downsized version of the 290. Both are clam shell engine designs. The 280 was still considered a professional saw in the 024, 026, 028, 034, etc. series.

Yep, the 270 and 280 share about everything but the piston and cylinder but they are kind of a modified clam shell design. Just made a lot different than the 290.
Oops, I made a mistake, I do think the bar and chain will fit both 270 and 290 saws.

I just bought a new filter, but have not been able to get mine to run more than a dozen tanks since it was new. So yours must be special. Thanks
I've had mine for 6-7 years now and I've had zero issues until my recent oil flow concerns.

Not sure if that bar is the same as the MS250 or the older 025, but yes, the oiler holes have always been too small. And, they might not even line up with the oiler slot. I ran into this mistake on a 290. You could be having the same problem with you 270. If requested, I can post pics.
I have a 20" Oregon bar. I blew it clean with compressed air.

I have a 20" Oregon bar. I blew it clean with compressed air.
Take a look at the alignment problem I ran into on a 290:
Stihl MS290 Bar Oiler Hole.JPG
Your 270 might be in the same boat. The oiler slot is too low. Proof is in the finger print left on the bar. I enlarged the bar's oiler hole, not easy with case hardened steel. I also fanned out the case's slot. It worked.

I have a 270 and I too think it doesn't oil near as much as most other saws.
I may need to check the bar alignment as mentioned. My saw had 20" bar on it.
I requested that bar when I bought it new.

View attachment 608195
Your 270 might be in the same boat. The oiler slot is too low. Proof is in the finger print left on the bar. I enlarged the bar's oiler hole, not easy with case hardened steel. I also fanned out the case's slot. It worked.

Thank you for posting. I never thought to look for the issue here.
I clean my bar often and there is oil coming out of the oil feed hole.
But I still doesn't enough oil as I would like.

View attachment 608195
I will check into that. Not sure exactly how yet, but I will. Thanks for the tip.

If your bar is new and has no such markings on it similar to my Pic, measure the distance from the center line of the bar slot to the oiler hole. Then measure the distance on the saw's case from the center line of the studs to the oiler slot. Both distances should match. In my Pic, the saw's slot was cut too low. Interesting enough, I checked a later release of a 290 that was about a year younger, and Stihl had fixed it by moving the case's oiler slot higher up.

Back