Ms280 iem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Russell

Reaction score
I am baffled by this saw ...ms280 iem coil is gapped .010. new plug also gapped .025. I get fire with positive lead pulled from coil. Also get fire by just unplugging iem solenoid. Iem solenoid is also new. Checked continuity for ground between coil ground and carb.....no ground at carb this would seem correct to me ....what is going on????

I am baffled by this saw ...ms280 iem coil is gapped .010. new plug also gapped .025. I get fire with positive lead pulled from coil. Also get fire by just unplugging iem solenoid. Iem solenoid is also new. Checked continuity for ground between coil ground and carb.....no ground at carb this would seem correct to me ....what is going on????
Take the wire off the stop switch and see what happens, you could have a short on
the wire or even the switch is shorting to gnd, never seen one of these saws, but
strange things happen.

Are you certain the coil is for the IEM carb setup? Had this happen to an ms280 a friend gave me, finally figured out that the ignition coil was replaced by a repair guy, but was not for IEM setup. I ended up replacing the carb with non IEM and saw runs better than ever before.

Are you certain the coil is for the IEM carb setup? Had this happen to an ms280 a friend gave me, finally figured out that the ignition coil was replaced by a repair guy, but was not for IEM setup. I ended up replacing the carb with non IEM and saw runs better than ever before.
This was the issue ... After lots of headache ....when I got the saw it had a non iem coil on it so I bought another one at a Stihl dealer after telling them it was an iem saw my new coil was also non iem...lol looked up part numbers to confirm my thoughts of having the wrong " new Stihl coil" and sure enough it was wrong....good thing is that the iem coil was cheaper by 10 bucks ....go figure!

This same issue just happened to me. I purchased new aftermarket coil on Amazon. Saw runs with kill switch disconnected but won’t shut off… not helpful. Saw starts and runs well with selonoid disconnected and kill switch works. Any issues running it this way with selonoid disconnected???

Back