ms311 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkondzl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have searched for info but haven't found any. Has anyone done one? If so can you shwo me some pics and some info on it.

Welcome,

Try the search again, read up on any MM. 270s, 290s, 310s will give you all the info you need and more.

Ted

I am new to modding saws but work at a stihl dealer and know these saws well. I fail to see how the info for a non strato saw applies to a stratosphere saw. I am looking for info on the 311 specifically. I have read info on the 441 with a muffler mod. I would just like some direction on where and how to cut. Along with what gains were seen. Someone must have some info on this.

Someone must have some info. It seems with most forums the new guy who ask a question that has been beat to death is ignored. I am just not finding info on strato saws.

muffler mod

I recently added another port to my 362 (which I believe is a strato saw) with great results. I can't say that it added more power but the saw feel like it has much better throttle response and more torque. Hardest part was getting the limiter caps off (hard to pull a lot harder than expected and I didn't want to snap anything). Best of all it sounds awesome at idle.

I have some pics I have been meaning to post of the mod, just haven't had time. Will try to post for you tonight. I used the small husky deflector and spark arrestor with (2) sheet metal screws.

BTW most people on here are very responsive and willing to help. :rock:

How big was the port? Did you you remove your screen on the stock port? We don't get many saws that are modded here at work and with it voiding the warranty we don't do it here at all. I am looking to play at home as I can pick saws up at cost. :rock:

muf screen

all my saws have the mm done to them.retune is a must;you can start with removing the screen.then try it.I jumped in took muffler apart and removed about everything that wasn't needed to put it back to gather,made exit opening about 3/4 of exhaust port opening.some say 85 percent.you can always take more hard to put it back.good luck Steve
remember to retune after as it will lean out your saw.

for the 362 i drilled (2) 1/2" holes and covered both with the new spark arrestor. This is about equal to one 1/2" hole which is how much more area I wanted to add. With the muffler removed, measure the smallest area present in the exhaust port of the cylinder. Then measure the existing hole in the muffler. As previously stated ~85% area is a good start.

I left the stock spark arrestor as it seems to be plenty large enough to not be the restiction in the stock exhaust hole.

one more time with the pics!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I
New to this..just found your post on muffler mod pics but they're to old to open. Do you still have any. I want to learn how on my ms311. Thanks
I'd start by opening the muffler and gutting the baffles out of it. Then I'd say it's safe to add one more port at least equal to existing muffler port.

Back