MS360 vs MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Whats the big difference between a Stihl 360 and 361? I have a MS360 pro with a 20" bar and its a great saw, but you don't hear much about them. There seems like there are a lot of people that have a 361 but not many 360's.

The 1125 Series of saws which includes the 034, 036, and MS360, are great saws. They only made the MS360 for a couple of years from maybe 2000-2003, so not a ton of them are out there compared to the 034, and 036 which was made for more years. The 034 was made around from around 1985-1995, and the 036 was made from 1996-2003, I probably off on years, but just an estimate.

The 361 is has better anti vibration, than the 360, springs in the 361, versus rubber buffers in the 360.
Parts aren't interchangeable between the 360 and 361, but most parts from 034's, 036's will fit MS360's
Both have about the same power, the 361 feels a little heavier and I think has a little more power.

Last edited:
That would be about right I bought mine new in 2002. (I think??) Thanks for the info though.

BTW-Whats the deal with all of the new saws having primer bulbs? Never have like those, always thought it makes a saw look cheap and just something else to go bad.

didnt i see specs somewhere that said the 034/036 was 11.6lbs if so that a lightwieght 60cc saw

I've only run 1 almost new stock 361 probably 5 to 10 hours. I have a muffler modded 034 that feels like a little monster when it comes to cutting wood in comparison. Its lighter,definitely feels more powerful then the 361 I ran, does vibrate more but not bad enough I have a problem with it and the air filter needs more attention.

I got an MS360Pro that I have woods ported myself and if I have to grab only saw it is my 360pro. I run a 20" bar on it and it handles 90% of the stuff I cut. I have had it ported for 4 years now and it has never missed a beat. I have never run a 361 so I cant say anything for it but I love my 360Pro! I got a video of my saw on youtube for any that want to see it run.

stihlboy... I agree I love my 360. Could you tell a big diference in your 360 after you ported it?

Yeah it was only my second attempt at porting a saw, but it did turn out well I think, sure they're are faster and stronger out there but it performs well. Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_l8m2XkI2M . After this video I went back to 93 octane ethanol free gas mixed with Stihl Ultra, I think it runs better.

Whats the big difference between a Stihl 360 and 361? I have a MS360 pro with a 20" bar and its a great saw, but you don't hear much about them. There seems like there are a lot of people that have a 361 but not many 360's.

The 360's are more responsive to mods, and as was said, they have the rubber bushings for A/V- which I like a lot better than the springs, not as smooth, but a lot more durable (I run the damn things for a living, and durability always trumps comfort!)- Sam

a spreadsheet of stihl specs that i have lists the 034 @ 11.6 but does not give a hp rating. it lists the 036 @ 4.5HP but no weight. it lists the 360 @ 4.5hp and 12.5lbs. i am not guaranteeing the these numbers. if someone has more certain numbers, let me know. i am working on this SS for both husky and stihl.

When I bought my 036 new in 1992 it was rated at 4.6 hp and 12.1 lbs. Pretty darn snotty and light weight. I think it will run against a 361 any day.

Somehow the saws have gotten de-rated in horse power and have picked up a bit of weight as time has gone on. I'm afraid that for the time being, the best horsepower to weight ratios are probably to be seen in saws of the early nineties. Take the 064, 066, 044 and 046 as examples....

I've owned the 036, 036 Pro, 360 and 360 Pro. They are great work saws with a muffler mod. I now own two modified and ported 361's, done by two of the best in the business (one has a pipe for fun events too). I've sold all of the older saws with muffler mods to friends of mine and they are still going strong, they love them. I did not have to have a 361 as I'm almost 80; but, I thought it was just as much fun to have a modified 361 as it was to spend the money on beer. The bottom line IMHO is you have a darn good work saw; gut the muffler and put a larger port on it and don't sweat the guys who own a 361. that saw will be with you a long long time if you give it good maintenance and run good gas and high quality fuel oil. Merry Christmas. :cheers:

since were on the subject of these saws i figured id post a pic of mine.
i traded some wrenching for this saw. this saw is likely the closest ill get to a 361.

GEDC0454.jpg

GEDC0385.jpg

this is a 034super when i handle it it reminds me of my 026 just feels very light and at 11.6 i think thats the same as the 346xp

vibration doesnt bother me one bit

Last edited:
since were on the subject of these saws i figured id post a pic of mine.
i traded some wrenching for this saw. this saw is likely the closest ill get to a 361.

GEDC0454.jpg

GEDC0385.jpg

this is a 034super when i handle it it reminds me of my 026 just feels very light and at 11.6 i think thats the same as the 346xp

vibration doesnt bother me one bit
that has qs do you find it annoying?

I still run a 360pro regularly. It IS a great saw ... it might be one of the last ones before the 361. I don't know, but I've been told; there's more environmental (emissions) stuff done to the 361 - maybe someone can verify or debunk that rumor.

i dont even know what the eletronick quickstop is? never noticed it being any difrent then any other saw

Latest posts

Back