MS361 issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otisdog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a MS361 that has very low hours, less than 25 for sure. It doesn't get much use because I don't have much 'big' wood to cut around my house. 026 and 028 can handle most of it. So i'm removing an ancient avocado tree that got fried in the recent 117 degree heat, and need the 361.
I know how to avoid flooding it while starting it, but I've definitely have a gas issue.
Filled it up, and let it sit out in the sun. Next day it had leaked 1/2 of the fuel tank. I've read the 100 or so threads on the saw, and hope you experts can point me in the right direction. Do you think the issue is a plugged fuel tank vent, bad gascap, or a needle valve issue?
Many thanks for the help.

Modern tanks do not vent, they hold pressure. Sitting in the hot sun allowed the fuel pressure to build until the carb reached its limit. Once this happens the fuel will escape into the cylinder and fill it up. The saw will cool off and the vent lets more air in to build up again the next time it gets warm.

Got distracted and forgot about it sitting out there. So all that fuel leaked through the carb?
How do I go about getting a service manual for this saw?

You probably have to steal one. Stihl is that way. Service manuals are good for finding specs, not so much in diagnosing problems. Youtube is the best way to learn how to DIY fix common (beyond is there gas?, or is the on switch on?, etc.) problems.

Got distracted and forgot about it sitting out there. So all that fuel leaked through the carb?
How do I go about getting a service manual for this saw?

Okay, I need to be clearer...prior to me leaving the saw in the sun, it still oozed gas. Sitting in the cool garage, when I pulled it off of the shelf, it was wet...even the muffler. This is with it not being used for quite a while. Pulled the plug, pulled the carb, pulled the muffler, blew it out with compressed air, put it back together, didn't run it and it would still be wet.
So....tank vent?

cuinrearview was correct...fuel vent was all lacquered up. OEM vent, all is well.

Throw a new carb kit in it as it probably has had ethanol gas in it for and extended period and and the needle and metering diaphragm are bout shot. Very easy to do just be careful with the little spring and not lose and if you do it is not the end of the world .

Back