ArboristSite.com Sponsors

MS362c Shut off question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by GotAStihlNow, Feb 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GotAStihlNow

GotAStihlNow New Member

I just purchased a used Stihl MS362C with Mtronics (got a direct hit from H. Michael and still have much to do). This saw doesn't have the linkage to the Master Control Lever (cold start/Run/Stop lever). I am having trouble locating the part to order online. I see how I can replicate what the linkage does to choose cold start - and the saw starts and runs. I'm confused what the lever is supposed to do to shutdown the saw when raised to the stop position. It has a wire coming from the Master Control Lever, but raising it (without the linkage) while the saw is running does not shut down the saw. If anyone could tell me how to find the linkage online to order, and how it shuts down the saw, I would be very grateful! Thankyou.

2. EchoRomeoCharlie

EchoRomeoCharlie ArboristSite Member

Towards the bottom of the switch assembly there should be a green/yellow wire(at least thats what it is on my saws) that I'm assuming grounds out the coil which stops spark and shuts down the saw.

3. GotAStihlNow

GotAStihlNow New Member

Here's a couple pics of the control lever. I'm struggling to understand how it grounds out the coil

Attached Files:

4. EchoRomeoCharlie

One, you're missing a large return spring that the green/yellow wire is hooked to, that green/yellow gets grounded at the coil. When pressed up, that large return spring contacts the small circular contact in the middle of the switch assembly(seen in your second picture) which is connected to the black wire that comes off the coil.

I'll take some pictures quick to explain what I'm talking about.

EDIT: After closer inspection, your control lever is different than mine...

5. EchoRomeoCharlie

20190204_223938.jpg 20190204_223749.jpg 20190204_223828.jpg 20190204_223852.jpg

KEY:
    RED ARROW: Yellow/Green wire between coil and Large spring
    Empty Black Arrow: Black wire from coil to small round contact inside switch
    Yellow Arrow: Large spring your style switch doesn't seem to have.

Looks like your yellow/green wire is grounded to the case, so I'm guessing you should be able to ground out the black wire to the case? Again, not sure how your coil is designed...but this is how I believe mine to work. I could bust out the multi-meter and make sure that's how it works...maybe tomorrow, it's getting late.

6. GotAStihlNow

GotAStihlNow New Member

I understand now, thank you. the linkage that I don't have contacts the bolt with the yellow wire seen in my pictures, grounding out the coil when you push the switch forward. Makes sense now. Appreciate your help very much!

7. DND 9000

DND 9000 ArboristSite Guru

You have the contact spring and the choke shaft missing.

Choke shaft part no: 1140 185 1902
    Contact spring part no: 1140 442 1601

8. GotAStihlNow

GotAStihlNow New Member

You guys are super helpful. I have the parts on the way now. Thank you!

farmer steve likes this.