Ms381 clone problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhandagain

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a ms381 clone from China. It is bogging down where my dads 291 (I think) is not. He said the log is not pinching the chain and bar. What do you think the problem may be

I do love the saw. I have a ms660 coming in that I’ll be building. Super excited

Attachments

• IMG_1710.MOV
    25.9 MB
I read that if the chain is stoping but the rpms are not slowing down that this means centrefugal clutch issues. Does that sound right? I’m with you on the you get what you pay for. However, I want to see if someone else ran into this problem and knows a solution.

My humble opinion, at the end of the last cut your bar was pinched, but the first cuts no it is just the saw.
That is why your dad's Stihl did not bog down

A guy can spend his hard earned money how he chooses. I have a problem with stolen intellectual property. And I don’t care what anyone says there’s a reason a socket set at harbor freight is $27 and Mac, snap on or SK is 15x that, yes they do mark up. However they cheap stuff is cheap, lousy casting, inferior materials, questionable tolerances/workmanship to name a few. It’s not cheap because it’s a great deal. Those factors plus sweatshop labor are the only reasons. Buy once cry once. Best your budget allows

Took the clutch off and cleaned it. It had gunks of grease in it. So far, so good. I’m sure some other problems will pop up.

what I’ve found out is buying a **** saw will force you to learn two strokes motors, which is the goal. Different strokes for different folks.

As far as the rakers being too low, I’m reading up on it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction too.

If the chain came from the same country of origin as the copycat saw..... then yes the rakers will be far too low.
Once you file away about 1/2 to 3/4 of the cutter teeth, they come about right.
Went through a 25 foot roll of experimental chain a while back that had that problem- was branded E&S (Eastern Sunrise? :laugh: ), was not terrible chain, but was certainly grabby chain, tried to eat more than a mouthful at one time, no manners at all.

960B5D13-DEF1-43AD-AD2B-483ADBAF8D6B.jpegThe rakers look low from the pictures i saw on google. So do I just file the other section lower or are the rakers so low I need to buy a new chain. Again, I’ve got some reading to do on the subject of chains and sharpening them.

Definitely sounds like its below its powerband, running rich, chain is definitely grabby. More rpms, more power, and a better hold on the clutch.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Took the clutch off and cleaned it. It had gunks of grease in it. So far, so good. I’m sure some other problems will pop up.

what I’ve found out is buying a **** saw will force you to learn two strokes motors, which is the goal. Different strokes for different folks.
I learned with Sthil saws , not Chi-Com stuff. Hard to make an ex-beer can into a Stihl.

It appears you have a real Stihl bar, chain too or chi-com? I've had no problem with Stihl chain out of the box.

My 038 magnum/magnum conversions I run 20 or 25" ES bars with 3/8 Stihl RS chain, RM chain in dirty wood, rakers 0.025". They pull the 25" in hardwood easy with a 7 pin, I can use an 8 pin w/20". They just have mildly cleaned up ports and muffler mods.

I learned with Sthil saws , not Chi-Com stuff. Hard to make an ex-beer can into a Stihl.

It appears you have a real Stihl bar, chain too or chi-com? I've had no problem with Stihl chain out of the box.

My 038 magnum/magnum conversions I run 20 or 25" ES bars with 3/8 Stihl RS chain, RM chain in dirty wood, rakers 0.025". They pull the 25" in hardwood easy with a 7 pin, I can use an 8 pin w/20". They just have mildly cleaned up ports and muffler mods.
Thats a STILL bar lol

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back