MS390 or MS 361 (stihl) ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firewooddave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a new saw for cutting tree tops and falling the occassional good size tree. I currently have an older 028 stihl and am looking for something with a little more power.
What my question is, is why the MS390 a homeowners saw and the MS361 a professional saw?
What saw would you guys and gals go with if money was no option.
Can I run a 16" bar and chain on either of these saws or should I run a 20" like the website says?

thanks in advance,

Dave

I just went through the same head against the wall decision. I ended up with the 361. Power to weight ratio is better with the 361 and the 361 can handle up to a 24" bar if need be. I got mine with the 16" bar because this will do probably 85% of all my cutting. I also got a 24" bar for those giant oak and maple trees we have around here.

The 361 is also supposed to have a better "feel" to it because of the vibration dampening abilities built into the saw (rubber mounts, triangulated frame, etc.). I guess alot of the decision can be made by asking one question..... How much do you plan on using it?

I know there is quite a price difference, but when when figured out over the 20+ years I expect to get out of this thing, its not really a huge deal. My .00002 cents worth.:greenchainsaw:

If you use the search feature to search this website, you will find these saws have both been discussed at length in the Chainsaw forum, including what makes one a pro saw and the other a homeowner model.

I bought a 361 with my xmas money. The saw is worth every penny.I have the 20" bar. This thing cuts circles around my friends saws and I've only put 7 tanks through it (I've been working on the new splitter). The oil useage is awsome not like some of the old saws where the oil slings all over the bar.
With the 361 you get a little more oil and gas capacity, the antivibe feature,and its slightly lighter if money was no option go with the 361 you won't be disappointed. :clap:

If money is no object, get the 361. All around a better saw. If you want to save a few bucks the 390 is a competant homeowner / firewood saw but it's heavier, less durable and built with a lot more plastic.

Both will be fine with a 16" bar if you are only going to be cutting small stuff. Stihl recommend 16"-25" bars with the 361

Cheers

Ian

Buy the 361
Allot lighter, can handle a variety of bars. Pro quality. And smooth running.
I have 361 with a 20" bar with a RSC chain on it.
Makes a H$ll of a lot of work in a short order.
Don't take long before I have some time involved in splitting

I've been running my 361 about a year and a half. Running it hard,too. Dry oak and madrone. Its never given me even one bit of trouble and I don't regret buying it. Best saw for the money that I can think of.

361 wins by a wide margin! It is a heck of a nice saw, light and far more nible than the 290/310/390 family of saws.

As for the differences, the 290/310/390 series uses a horizontally-slit crankcase with the cylinder integral to the upper half of the crankcase (harder to service and rebuild) coupled with a plastic engine cradle/oil tank. The 361 uses a magnesium, vertically-split crankcase (with integral bar oil tank) that uses a bolt-on cylinder. This design is easier to service, allows for easier heating of the bar oil (flows better in the cold), and is more space/weight efficient than the other design. Also, the improved air filtration and vibration of the 361 are also very nice improvements.

I've run the 290 and 310. They're durable, reliable saws, and either would be fine with a 16"-20" bar with .325" chain. But a 361 with a 16" bar and 3/8" chain is an absolutely wonderful combination, and it is one of the only saws that left me with a big smile the first time I ran it.

I just put away my 290 with a 16" bar and bought a 361 with an 18" bar. The 361 burns thru the logs like no tomorrow.
If $ is no object, get the 361. You will never regret it.

There is no question the 361 is the better saw. I have one and love it, very smooth and easy to use. For the difference in cost by all means get the 361 and you will never regret it.

Back