MS440 leaking like, well, a Husky 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What post?

Like your new sig, are your panites dripping by chance, oppppppps, wait, your right, Stihl men have saws, we dont need to be a arse to back them up,LOLOL

BTW you left off the part ITS JUST ANOTHER SAW, boy is it,wink!

Last edited:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

LOLOL, I can't be fighting with Space, its against the law to pick on kids his age and size, LOLOLOL

Hey Space I saw your pic over in the pic thread, nice body, can you wear a bag over ya head for your bestest freind ole Tom, come on , I won't tell if you don't,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Are we talking bout the same saw, 2000's saw? He sent me that thing and it was rocking and rolling. I couldn't slow that SOB down no matter what. You could almost stand on it and it kept right on sawing. That saw was a mean mother....

LOL, that was a screamer for sure. That is the first saw that I could never get to slow down with the H screw. Thanks for taking a look at it. I didn't want too burn it up using it as a work saw so I figured Freak would have more fun with it, he knows a lot more about them than me. A very clean old 044 though, it will be missed.:cry: :cry:

It's tempting to work on my 440, try to get some more oomph. I have a stock cylinder in good shape I could work on. Hmmm, dare I do a search for porting? The 24" bar in dry oak is more than that saw wants to handle. What kind of results would a mild port get me?
Dok

Get the DP cover and retune, try that and see how you like it before porting. My 25" 440 buried in oak is sweet, stock w/ a dp cover.:hmm3grin2orange: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Here is a pic of my 440(left) with the DP cover. You might have a baffle on the inner casing covering the exhaust port, take that out too. The stock port could use some opening up also, if you feel good using a round file or dremel. I have it circled in yellow.

attachment.php

It's tempting to work on my 440, try to get some more oomph. I have a stock cylinder in good shape I could work on. Hmmm, dare I do a search for porting? The 24" bar in dry oak is more than that saw wants to handle. What kind of results would a mild port get me?
Dok

That is a good preception of how they run stock. I mean it will cut it, but it doesn't really like it like a 460 or 660 does.

A mild port on a 440 would make 28" in hardwood a breeze.....

Porting is well worth the effort IMO

Here is a pic of my 440(left) with the DP cover. You might have a baffle on the inner casing covering the exhaust port, take that out too. The stock port could use some opening up also, if you feel good using a round file or dremel. I have it circled in yellow.

Good info- I'll give that a try first. How high is safe for the rpms after the dual port install? I tuned mine by ear and checked the rpms, about 12,500. Probably a little rich? Thanks for the help!

Dok

Good info- I'll give that a try first. How high is safe for the rpms after the dual port install? I tuned mine by ear and checked the rpms, about 12,500. Probably a little rich? Thanks for the help!

Dok

Mine's close to 13,300, spec is 13,500. I like to run a little rich, unless it has the 32" and making a full buried cut, then go towards 12,500. Hence the 8 saw plan, LOL.

Just check the plug after a few passes, cocca brown is what you want.

That is a good preception of how they run stock. I mean it will cut it, but it doesn't really like it like a 460 or 660 does.

Steve is right on the money. You just won't ever want to run a stock saw after using a ported monster.:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :cheers:

Its so close, a little extra oomph would sure help. I'll try the dual port muff first and tune it just right. Porting is interesting to me, a search will give me something to read when the race starts today.
Dok

Mine's close to 13,300, spec is 13,500. I like to run a little rich, unless it has the 32" and making a full buried cut, then go towards 12,500. Hence the 8 saw plan, LOL.

Just check the plug after a few passes, cocca brown is what you want.

Hmm, I am running a bit rich. Plug is a little dark too. Good info, thanks!
Dok

Its so close, a little extra oomph would sure help. I'll try the dual port muff first and tune it just right. Porting is interesting to me, a search will give me something to read when the race starts today.
Dok

The dual port helps a lot, and increasing the stock outlet hole as Brian had mentioned helps too.

Out here we run them mainly with 20" bars, but the dual port and opening up the side outlet will let you run a 24" in hardwoods a lot better than with the stock muffler!

Hmm, I am running a bit rich. Plug is a little dark too. Good info, thanks!
Dok

yup, lean it out a little. My stock 440 with dual port seems to like 13,200-13,300 very well. It will go higher, but it likes 13,300 the best.

Back