MS441 R C-M M-Tronic Review and Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tonight I picked up a Stihl MS441 R C-M with the M-Tronic carb on it. I bought the R, or wrap, model to get the high output oiler, dual big dawgs, roller chain catcher, and stiffer AV springs. This saw will be getting ported probably sooner than later, but wanted to see how it ran stock. I'm making no attempt at scientific testing, so take the vids for what they're worth. You'll want to watch the whold vid, as I make comments along the way to help explain what the saw feels like.

Over all, it's a very nice saw. It's very well balanced with the 28" Light bar I have on it. It does not feel loose at all, so those of you that don't like loosey goosey springs, you'll like this one.

I have mixed feelings about it's performance. I have to admit that I'm not a good judge of stock saws. None of my saws are stock long at all, so I have to keep that in perspective when I do run a stock saw. Never the less, I still think I'm overly critical of such. With that said, the saw seems to "hunt" for RPMs if there's any variation in load. It almost feels like the saw shifts gears up and down, hunting for the sweet spot. This made it very difficult to get it to settle down if you dogged it in to put a good load on it. You'll see what I mean in the vid. A standard carbed saw seems much smoother. Again, this is only a first tank opinion. Don't put too much stock in it yet.

The very first cuts I made I was quite disappointed. But, by the time I had a full tank through it, I noticed a significant difference. It seemed like a bigger difference than most other saws in just one tank. I think you will be able to see the difference when I return to the smaller test log at the end of the vid.

Another thing to note is how it takes a second to idle down after coming off the throttle. This is not an issue at all, just different.

I'm trying to be very open minded about this saws performance. I think it's more "different" than it is negative. It will just take a little getting used to. Let the saw do it's thing and it runs great. It will take more time behind it though to really tell. I think it'll be even less noticeable after it's ported. It'll have more grunt to keep those RPMs up where it likes to be.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qW8OtZv0B_0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG7514-M.jpg

IMG7515-M.jpg

IMG7516-M.jpg

IMG7517-M.jpg

IMG7521-M.jpg

IMG7518-L.jpg

IMG7519-M.jpg

IMG7520-M.jpg

seems to me there is still a lot to be gained in stock form with more tanks of fuel. if MM'ed this early stage in the game we, you will never know how strong it is or can be.

but then again there will be other with the saw in stock form to compare it too.

If you get a chance pay some attention to the fuel consumption.

Met up with a fellow today that figues his 441 will pay for itself over it's service life compared to his current 440. He freaking loves his 441, maybe a bit much.

His fuel/mix puts him aound +/- $6.00 a gallon.

I think andy and nik would want to run it stock also . I say put some more tanks thru it stock then when its broken in, then start the surgery on her. this way nobody will say you didnt put enough tanks thru it stock vs ported . I am wondering what it would take to take a standered 441 and make it into a m tronic and would it be cost effective ? thanks .

I'm trying to figure out what to do with this muffler. There's not good place to put another deflector, other than the bottom. It fits nicely between the muffler and case and looks like a mouth, lol. The only possible issue is that it would blow straight forward in very close proximity to the bark. Shouldn't be an issue though once it's ported. It won't be in one place long enough to get that hot:clap: Another option is to really open the muffler up at the factory opening. This would mean no longer having a functional spark arrestor. I'll probably end up selling this saw, so that may not be a good idea. Ideas?

I think andy and nik would want to run it stock also . I say put some more tanks thru it stock then when its broken in, then start the surgery on her. this way nobody will say you didnt put enough tanks thru it stock vs ported . I am wondering what it would take to take a standered 441 and make it into a m tronic and would it be cost effective ? thanks .

The only problem with that is I don't have any wood to cut. Besides, a saw isn't a saw until it has a MM!

They're talking about a conversion in the other thread too. I think it would only require the coil and carb. That's just a guess though.

The only problem with that is I don't have any wood to cut. Besides, a saw isn't a saw until it has a MM!

They're talking about a conversion in the other thread too. I think it would only require the coil and carb. That's just a guess though.

needs more then that. besides the crank case half or hacking the stock 441 case, also needs the control module. if anyones really interested ill get the complete list together.

but just those 3 parts (coil, carb, control mod) would make the change over very cost prohibitive. better to sell you 441 and buy new 441cm.

Why not keep it stock untill it's fully broken in? Thats the only way to fairly compare stock to modded. Someone on here posted it took a lot of tanks to level out. The saw seem to be pretty hot stock.

I asked the same question in the other thread. I didnt see this thread until now my bad.
The control switch is also different between the two models but that may be nothing to worry about.

I'd rather port it before it's broken in. That way it breaks in with the configuration it will be staying with. I will tightening the squish at a minimum, meaning the rings will be going farther up in the bore. Plus, it could be months before I get to run a saw enough to properly break it in. I certainly will not be waiting that long.

needs more then that. besides the crank case half or hacking the stock 441 case, also needs the control module. if anyones really interested ill get the complete list together.

but just those 3 parts (coil, carb, control mod) would make the change over very cost prohibitive. better to sell you 441 and buy new 441cm.

thanks young , I thought it might be to expensive to try to switch it over but i had to ask.

HD spring kit#

I would like to put the hd spring kit on my 441 . Does anyone have the part # for the kit ?

Back