Ms460 Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, got my new parts and they are the correct ones this time. Be able to work on it tomorrow and hopefully have it done. The tank and plastics have been my total hold up on it. The parts this round are all FT parts. The main control lever on this tank assembly feels so much better than that on my ms660 kit. The year and a half has definitely made a difference on that particular part.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Well, it is running and sounds good to me. Everything definitely needs broke in again since the only bearings not replaced were the main crank bearings. But I lubed the heck out of all internal bearings with regular stihl mix oil, except for the wrist pin bearing. That got greased with some really good grease called lubri-plate. Used it on all wrist pin bears and clutch bearings, with very good results. Had to do some fitting on the control lever as after I got the carb and all on, it was very tuff to get it into full choke. Once in full choke, it would push the butterfly so hard closed, that it was jammed closed. Got that cleaned up and working properly. Here is a video of it running after I started it the second time.

it was very tuff to get it into full choke.

Interesting, I have the same issue with my Farmertec handle. Also a famrtec switch in my case as I built the ms460 kit. If when gently pushing down on the choke lever/kill switch I finger the throttle sometimes it goes full choke a fair bit easier, not at all like butter like my genuine 460 tank on the 046 does.

How you get the video on here?? I’d love to post one of mine but AS says file to large.

I uploaded the video to youtube, then copied the share link to my post.

The way I worked over my controls was I slowly shaved the arm that hits the choke lever on the carb, til it didn't over push it. It still can, if I press hard enough or fast enough. I also greased all the contact surfaces that the shaft pivots on with lubri-plate, as well as the spots that deals with the trigger for choke and high idle. Some of the friction I believe is also in the switch assembly that is the detent locations for each position. It should get better, with use. I didn't grease anything inside the switch, that deals with that detent/kill switch assembly. Didn't want to get garbage in there is make it so the kill switch doesn't work.

Well here’s mine. What poor quality.

Looks decent on my phone even though I probably took it with the front facing camera, but on you tube it looks horrible. Hope anyone who cares enjoys. I think it sounds sweet, still rich of course.

@ssm1699 thanks for informing me on how to upload a video here. Shoulda known it was through YouTube.

*edit* it looked normal second load, maybe something on my end. Who knows.

I guess I will ask here before I start the return process, anyone need a tank/rear handle and plastics for an ms440? I ordered all those parts for my ms460 rebuild as a bundle and the Ebay seller sent me ms440 parts. I ended up getting the correct parts from another ebay seller. Just want to get my money back.

Back