ms460 rpm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprung22

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody know what my saw should be running at with a high flow air filter and DP cover setup?

your ear will tell you....

The airfilter won't change your mixture settings, but the muffler will.

Anytime you modify it from factory, factory settings and rpm aren't valid. Anywhere 13-14,000k with a medium length bar is probaly o.k., but listen for the burble...

Steve, kinda hard to give you a number, you want it tuned to what sounds good to you, and is still safe for the saw and then tach it for reference.
I have "Magic Numbers" I use for my saws, but won't work for yours.

Cool thank's fella's..What about sprocket size teeth on that same size saw with a 28-32" bar 7 or 8?

Cool thank's fella's..What about sprocket size teeth on that same size saw with a 28-32" bar 7 or 8?

I can't imagine that it would like to pull an 8 in hardwood. My 660 will pull an 8 real well with a 28" bar, but it's got 15 more cc's.

It'll be easier on the saw with a 7 pin.

Hey guys, anciend thread but still.

I have a 046 pulling a 25" B&C. It has a muff mod. Runs nice, but if i tune it in the 13k rpm range (with chain and no load) the saw runs hot judging by the spark plug. IT rips through wood like mad but the spark gets white-ish. I should play around some more but i have a feeling it would have to be tuned to around 11.5 or maybe 12k to get the coffe colored spark, which doesn't make any sense to me. Am i missing something with the spark plug, is it safe to run it at 13k rpm no load or should i detune down to where i know its safe...

The burbling gets hard for me to hear in this range if i dont tune it on the really safe side, and im not getting the power i want out of it there. :D

Ehh/- plugs aren't the best indicator as other factors play into their appearance.
Running "hot" or not sounding rich enough is a better basis for questioning your tune.
Tachs sure do help but ya gotta hear that 4-stroke at wot. Watch a few tuning vids til you can recognize lean/rich without looking at the video. Then, immediately warm up your saw and tune it. If you're close to 2500-2800 idle and around 13,000, you're getting there.

Possibly, but there are a lot of similar ones around.

I tried it again today and i think i have it where i got it. The only thing bothering me is the no coffe on the spark, but it is darker than it was. What say the AS experts, yay or nay?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LDOH5G3t6j8

A video of cutting and the sparkplug after attached.

Attachments

• spark.jpg
    spark.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 12
Going by your video it is spot on for that size wood. If you normally cut larger wood say 20+ cut half way through the log and lift to see if the saw 4 strokes immediately. If it does then you are still good. On very long cuts the heat builds and will lean the tune just a tad. Forget plug color.

Yup. Tack tells you nothing. I guess maybe your ear could tell you about nothing to .

It's like running a raincoat it sucks compared to real thing

Only saw tech's that work for saw dealers tune with tacks because they don't know how to rune saws

Back