MS461 failure analysis help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodslasher

Make McCulloch Great Again!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got this toasted 461 awhile ago and I'm getting ready to rebuild it but I've run into a problem. Based off of Madsen's piston failure analysis chart and my personal knowledge of the saw's past life I'm guessing either dirt incursion or bearing failure caused the pictured marks on the piston, but I'm not sure which and was hoping one of you might know. If it is a bearing failure, how do I tell which one it is?
IMG_4667.jpegIMG_4668.jpegIMG_4669.jpegIMG_4670.jpegIMG_4671.jpeg

I would suggest looking for broken or pieces of missing bearing cages. Also and inner or outer race's or fragmentation's of rollers, or needle bearings. [Surface Hardness meeting it's limitations].This would include rod, mains, and wrist pin locations. If you slide the conn rod to either side it helps with the inspect.

I would personally day bearing failure as well, but like stated above there should be some obvious damage to one (or more) of the bearings. And to me the intake side doesnt have that matte finish that you see with dirt ingestion. You should also see debris in the carb and intake tract if it was eating dirt.

Sometimes a hi- def picture looks deceiving, but I don’t know about any brg damage.
Usually there’s more damage than you have. The piston looks very strange.
The top, yes, possibly. But the sides look more like it got fed steady supply of dirt.
Or something very abrasive. Which can lean out a saw, causing the ex side damage.
Wood dust could do it. It doesn’t look like dirt (earth).
It is also possible, a large mount of moisture in the fuel.
Cant say I’ve ever seen that kind of damage.

Can you feel anything in the bottom of the case?

They dont always turnover bad if most of the balls are there and it's just the cage that flew apart. At any rate, glad you found the issue. Now you know your doing a full rebuild on it.

From the picture of the flywheel it looks like the crank was flopping around , I wonder if the pickup on the coil is damaged too?

Wow....so does the crankshaft have all kinds of play? It must not turn very smoothly
The big end bearing seems fine but yeah, the crankshaft seems pretty sticky. If the coil got nicked do I need to replace it? This is the first saw out of all the ones I’ve worked on that had the bearings blow up so I don’t know how to deal with the fallout yet.

The big end bearing seems fine but yeah, the crankshaft seems pretty sticky. If the coil got nicked do I need to replace it? This is the first saw out of all the ones I’ve worked on that had the bearings blow up so I don’t know how to deal with the fallout yet.
I've had coils in which the metal laminations were banged up, swelled with rust, etc that still worked. Theyre pretty tough so it will probably still spark as long as the potted coil part is not damaged badly.

I noticed that too, the laminations took a hit, that crank must have at least .030" slop in it to do that...
Wow! Beginning to look like a parts saw instead of a rebuild candidate.

Put up some good pics of the magnets on the FW and the coil pole pieces. I suspect that if there is significant material missing from either you are likely looking at replacements for both components. The magnetic circuit was designed to work at a specific flux density set by the area of the pole pieces in the coil. The field strength is set by the gap. While it may still fire the timing will likely be wrong or inconsistent.

Latest posts

Back