MS461 hard to pull rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try slowly turning the flywheel backwards and see if the turning resistance stAys the same through a full revolution of the flywheel.

With bar and chain off, plug out, flywheel and clutch still on. Turning it backwards there’s no resistance except for an area with a slight bump, three tougher bumps, then another slight bump.

Bent crank, broken case, scored piston, broken jug...

Have you removed the muffler to verify piston condition? That has been mentioned. Twice.

Is the cylinder broken, bent, damaged? Are any fins missing indicating it took a direct hit?

Is the crankcase broken, damaged corners, missing pieces with fresh mag exposed?

Looking at the picture with the bent bar, and where it was bent, I would think some damage would be evident and fairly noticeable...

Bent crank, broken case, scored piston, broken jug...

Have you removed the muffler to verify piston condition? That has been mentioned. Twice.

Is the cylinder broken, bent, damaged? Are any fins missing indicating it took a direct hit?

Is the crankcase broken, damaged corners, missing pieces with fresh mag exposed?

Looking at the picture with the bent bar, and where it was bent, I would think some damage would be evident and fairly noticeable...

Muffler is off now, bumps are when piston changes direction at the top. No visible damage to piston or cylinder, what little I can see through there anyway. Fins are not damaged. Only visible damage other than handle and bar are the piece the upper dogs attach to (with serial #) is broken off, and muffler cover is pushed in.

Doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with the basic engine. Try putting the starter back on and see if the engine still turns over easily. My guess is that it WAS flooded. Damn trees should fall where you tell them to.

Damn trees should fall where you tell them to.

Ha ha ha ha, I agree. You can tell from the last picture that it didn’t go with the felling cut. I know rotten trees have that danger, but it had to come down. Loggers I know tell me I didn’t do anything wrong, because there isn’t a right way with a rotten tree.

Back