Ms461 high output oiler question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinSL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
F1A6E5FA-BA8A-4142-B428-CE08F999D5A2.jpeg F1A6E5FA-BA8A-4142-B428-CE08F999D5A2.jpeg 07577C38-3A49-44F0-99E1-1AA2FAFD1B4D.jpeg 6149503B-5F6F-4F1A-B5BF-FDBF01F28131.jpeg I recently ordered a high output oiler for my ms 461. I went to put it on today and it looks identical to the same one I took off. The numbers are the same although stamped in different locations. Everything looks identical to me but I may be missing something. I’d really appreciate any help on this subject. It came from a member here and was purchased via his eBay account. Here are pictures of the oilers the old one is on the too and the high output one is on the bottom.

They do look the same to me. You posted yesterday that these new are $125. Yeah, one should be 22ct gold. WTF!!!

I would expect that one is drilled out to allow more oil to pass thru. Which makes me wonder can I just drill out an oiler. Well not "me", but someone with good tools and knows what they are doing....

They do look the same to me. You posted yesterday that these new are $125. Yeah, one should be 22ct gold. WTF!!!

I would expect that one is drilled out to allow more oil to pass thru. Which makes me wonder can I just drill out an oiler. Well not "me", but someone with good tools and knows what they are doing....
That’s kind of what I was thinking just drilling a bigger exit hole. Unless there is something I’m missing I can’t tell a difference.

It is not drilled out- the body is identical. The limit bolt is different as is the gear/piston. There are threads describing the difference and showing the parts side by side.
The HO limit bolt and gear/piston are both marked. I don't remember what the marks are but again it's in other threads. I think the limit bolt face where you adjust the oiler has an extra dot or line.

It's easy to turn a regular oil pump into an HO one with the two parts. That costs signnificantly less than buying the whole pump.

View attachment 674913 View attachment 674913 View attachment 674915 View attachment 674914 I recently ordered a high output oiler for my ms 461. I went to put it on today and it looks identical to the same one I took off. The numbers are the same although stamped in different locations. Everything looks identical to me but I may be missing something. I’d really appreciate any help on this subject. It came from a member here and was purchased via his eBay account. Here are pictures of the oilers the old one is on the too and the high output one is on the bottom.

That’s kind of what I was thinking just drilling a bigger exit hole. Unless there is something I’m missing I can’t tell a difference.

Don't listen to the member from MT, I don't think he could find his rear-end using GPS and directions of how to get there. He uses his ms290 farm boss over his ms461, FFS.

The housing is the same, and will have the same part number/stamping on it, the internals, IE: Control bolt, Pump piston, are different. That pump (you bought on eBay) will flow/pump more oil, then the one that came on your saw.

maulhead is right with:
The housing is the same, and will have the same part number/stamping on it, the internals, IE: Control bolt, Pump piston, are different. That pump (you bought on eBay) will flow/pump more oil, then the one that came on your saw.

The stroke of the pump piston is different. The normal version has 0,8mm and the piston for the high output oiler has 1,1mm. The high output oiler delivers around 7cc oil more per minute as the normal version.

maulhead is right with:

The stroke of the pump piston is different. The normal version has 0,8mm and the piston for the high output oiler has 1,1mm. The high output oiler delivers around 7cc oil more per minute as the normal version.

Yes, my 461 with the standard oiler will use,

1/2 tank of oil per 1 tank of gas

my 461 with the high output oiler,

will use 1 tank of oil per 1 tank of gas.

Ok I wondered why they looked the same but the internal difference makes sense , thanks a lot I put it on last night and it seemed like it slung more oil off the chain but I’ll be using it today so I’ll be able see how it does.

I ran it today and it does in fact run through about one tank of oil per tank of gas. It does sling more off of the chain as well. Overall I’m happy with the upgrade and highly suggest it. If I were to do it over again I would probably try to order the parts to install in the factory housing since they are both the same and try to save money. I will either keep my stock unit for an extra or sell it since it is virtually new and try to recoup some of my money.

I ran it today and it does in fact run through about one tank of oil per tank of gas. It does sling more off of the chain as well. Overall I’m happy with the upgrade and highly suggest it. If I were to do it over again I would probably try to order the parts to install in the factory housing since they are both the same and try to save money. I will either keep my stock unit for an extra or sell it since it is virtually new and try to recoup some of my money.

Are those individual parts available from Stihl? Looks like something that would be sold as a unit.

How big of a bar are you running that you need an HO Oiler? I rarely use my 32" bar, but still the oiler did seem to lube the chain okay.

Are those individual parts available from Stihl? Looks like something that would be sold as a unit.

How big of a bar are you running that you need an HO Oiler? I rarely use my 32" bar, but still the oiler did seem to lube the chain okay.
I’m running a 25 and have a 28 but haven’t used it yet.

If the new saw can't oil a 25inch chain you should see about having it fixed under the warrantee. I had a puolon that wouldn't oil the chain, and it was awful. Extreme chain stretching, and a very hot to the touch chain. Any mechanic can confirm and fix it under warrantee quickly.

I’m running a 25 and have a 28 but haven’t used it yet.

Species, hard or soft wood, and age of wood, makes a big difference, in oiling.

Case in point I can cut 3-4 year old, dead dry elm tree, with a 461 with 25" bar, with standard oiler, and it's OK for oiling....not great but OK.... now I cut a standing live elm tree with a 25" bar, and chain gets too hot, locks up on the bar, oiler can't keep it cooled. Sticky, wet sap, shredded fibers load up the bar rails, nose & rim, and can't keep it cooled enough.

High output oiler, helps remedy those problems. I highly doubt there is/was anything wrong with the stock standard oiler on the OP's new 461, they just don't oil as well as they could, that's a fact.

I now, keep a 20" bar on my 1/2 wrap 461, with standard oiler, does great, and I keep a 28" on my 461R with the HO oiler, it does great, no matter the species of wood I'm cutting.

I tried a 28" on my 461 with standard oil made a few cuts, not enough oil, just way too stingy! Went back to a 20" bar, and that is what lives on that saw now. If I was ever going to run a long bar on that 461, I'd put a HO oiler on it, no question!!

Back