MS461 or MS461R ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard the Southeast Stihl MS461's were detuned compared to Northeast Stihl ones... :clap:
BaHaHaHa.

Good thing this one come from Stihl Southwest, seeing as SouthEast doesn't carry "R" models.
They want to sell/sale/sail you the Regula 461, and then sell the Wrap handle, Big Clutch cover, and HO Oil pump FO extra.

Oh, I wanted to ask about the air filter. See pictures. I took the saw apart and cleaned it all up, then I opened the air box and saw the filter all clogged up. Should it be this packed with stuff after only running it on Noodling for a few hours?
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these filters supposed to have a round foam pre-filter on them? The pre-filter catches the big crud while the main element is for small dust. The pre-filter cleans easily in the sink with dish soap and a *soft* paint brush.

I have a 33 year old Honda lawnmower with the same system. The foam pre-filter gets cleaned and re-oiled annually. The main filter has been replaced once in 33 years!

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these filters supposed to have a round foam pre-filter on them? The pre-filter catches the big crud while the main element is for small dust. The pre-filter cleans easily in the sink with dish soap and a *soft* paint brush.

I have a 33 year old Honda lawnmower with the same system. The foam pre-filter gets cleaned and re-oiled annually. The main filter has been replaced once in 33 years!
Only the original HD filters. The new HD2's do not have a prefilter on them. Some run the Outerwears on them with good results.

Only the original HD filters. The new HD2's do not have a prefilter on them. Some run the Outerwears on them with good results.
By "Outerwears" are you referring to the prefilter? Are some folks adding the prefilter to the HD2?

Most people concur that the HD-2 w/o the outerwear is the better set up. Just tap out the chips every few tanks. The pleated filter has a lot more flow than non pleated filters (more surface area, by far). I have them on all my saws. The Max Flow may be even better, but adds bulk.

Latest posts

Back