MS461 or MS461R ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't the porting different on an actual R model to give the saw more bottom end torque or grunt verses speed ? I got into this discussion with our Stihl dealer and they looked up the cylinder for an 046 and there were two different cylinder options one for a regular 046 chainsaw and an 046 Rescue saw . I have one of these Rescue saws with that style of wrap handle and it is a tad slower than a regular 046 . I always liked that saw because of the torque and the handle . The only drawback to that style handle is taking the bar off or putting it back on and to tension the chain.

I know we are discussing 461 but it is still basically the same saw.

Isn't the porting different on an actual R model to give the saw more bottom end torque or grunt verses speed ? I got into this discussion with our Stihl dealer and they looked up the cylinder for an 046 and there were two different cylinder options one for a regular 046 chainsaw and an 046 Rescue saw . I have one of these Rescue saws with that style of wrap handle and it is a tad slower than a regular 046 . I always liked that saw because of the torque and the handle . The only drawback to that style handle is taking the bar off or putting it back on and to tension the chain.

I know we are discussing 461 but it is still basically the same saw.
Nope

There is no difference in cylinders between the R models, wrap or rescue and the stock saw. The 046 had two different cylinders. The first ones came with a D shaped combustion chamber, which made better compression, and the later cylinder was shaped differently.

The 461 cylinders won’t bolt up to an 046/MS 460. Most parts fit on one another. However, while the cases are similar in size & dimensions, the cylinder bolts are quite a bit different.

Thanks, I didn't know this because I am behind the times when it comes to these newer saws. Sorry for the derail of the thread .

They are similar in a lot of ways, but the 461 is a quad port and the lower transfer feeds from the front (not the sides), so the cylinder bolt pattern is longer.

3 of the 4 starter recoil bolts will line up, and you can swap em, but they are not the same. Also, the decomp on a 461 is not in the center, and they have 3 bolt / limited RPM coils. (but you can swap coils and they run just fine).

Also, the 461 comes with a HD-50 carb … has different fuel circuitry. Most 440s/460s don't like that carb, but I have one ported 460 that just really improved with that carb … go figure! (It won the ported 460 competition at this years Upstate NY GTG.)

460s and 461s share the same tank holders and mufflers, chain brakes, etc. I think the flywheels, oilers and clutches are also the same.

They have the same HP, but most people feel the 461 has a broader torque range.

5FAE72E1-0180-481D-A571-F1E6B11BDDCA.jpeg I couldn’t find a 461 r in my area and the dealer wanted $1200 for one so I made my own out of a new 461 I found for $980 OTD. I put the big clutch cover on it , high output oiler, and the factory dogs. Mine is just like a R model minus the wrap handle.

I bought an R a couple years ago. I bought it specifically for the wrap handle. When it arrived, it did have the wrap handle, the box said 461R. I’m not sure about the Oiler though. I’m runnin a 32 in bar and full comp chain. It seemed to dry out after some cutting. I cleaned behind the log plate and Oiler port and ran it “a little” and it seemed to oil better. Going to run a tank through on some big ash to be sure.

my Oiler only has 1/4 turn adjustment. I can see the pin stop but it appears hard to access. I heard you can recess that pin and get more flow.

View attachment 745256 I couldn’t find a 461 r in my area and the dealer wanted $1200 for one so I made my own out of a new 461 I found for $980 OTD. I put the big clutch cover on it , high output oiler, and the factory dogs. Mine is just like a R model minus the wrap handle.

what did those extras cost you? I bought a wrap handle for my 361 and it cost me $168. My R only cost me about $970 and I special ordered it. (Sans bar and chain of course).

I bought an R a couple years ago. I bought it specifically for the wrap handle. When it arrived, it did have the wrap handle, the box said 461R. I’m not sure about the Oiler though. I’m runnin a 32 in bar and full comp chain. It seemed to dry out after some cutting. I cleaned behind the log plate and Oiler port and ran it “a little” and it seemed to oil better. Going to run a tank through on some big ash to be sure.

my Oiler only has 1/4 turn adjustment. I can see the pin stop but it appears hard to access. I heard you can recess that pin and get more flow.

I've never seen a pin on any 461. Drill the oil port on the bar, it helps.

I've never seen a pin on any 461. Drill the oil port on the bar, it helps.
The pin is at about 7 o’clock when lookin from the chain side on the bottom. You have ti view it however from the 12 o’clock position, you can’t see it looking straight down. If you look at a 462, it’s much easier to see.

The pin is at about 7 o’clock when lookin from the chain side on the bottom. You have ti view it however from the 12 o’clock position, you can’t see it looking straight down. If you look at a 462, it’s much easier to see.

462..Yes. 661...Yes.

I've had 4 or 5 461s personally and put HO oil pumps in more standard models than I can remember. Never saw a pin, the 2 pumps on my workbench don't have a pin either.

462..Yes. 661...Yes.

I've had 4 or 5 461s personally and put HO oil pumps in more standard models than I can remember. Never saw a pin, the 2 pumps on my workbench don't have a pin either.
The pin I’m referring to is on the saw, not the pump. Maybe I should refrain from talk about it since I have not actually done the procedure described.

Back