MS461 or MS461R ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because 1) We cut a lot of lawn trees, and you can get the stump lower w/o them, and;

2) They add weight to a saw that is not necessary if you are not a feller.

Mike, I think people on the east and west coast have the tree in their backyard cut down just the same. A tree service in Portland does the same thing one in Philadelphia does.

Wrap handles are on the west more commonly because of the terrain they log and add the option to cut from one side of the tree.

I use one every time I work with a crane on big removals. It provides more options working with the saw to send big pieces out. The ounces it adds are irrelevant.

They make a lot of sense for felling, but I mostly do bucking and limbing, and the trees I fell are not usually that large, so sometimes I will just use the top of the bar for the back cut, etc.

I do own a wrap handle for a 660, and may install it sometime, but I think it may also get in the way if I'm milling.

The reason they make different saws with different options is so we can all choose what works for us.

If I did a lot of felling of large trees, I'm sure I would have one.

They are similar in a lot of ways, but the 461 is a quad port and the lower transfer feeds from the front (not the sides), so the cylinder bolt pattern is longer.

3 of the 4 starter recoil bolts will line up, and you can swap em, but they are not the same. Also, the decomp on a 461 is not in the center, and they have 3 bolt / limited RPM coils. (but you can swap coils and they run just fine).

Also, the 461 comes with a HD-50 carb … has different fuel circuitry. Most 440s/460s don't like that carb, but I have one ported 460 that just really improved with that carb … go figure! (It won the ported 460 competition at this years Upstate NY GTG.)

460s and 461s share the same tank holders and mufflers, chain brakes, etc. I think the flywheels, oilers and clutches are also the same.

They have the same HP, but most people feel the 461 has a broader torque range.
Mike,
Would the 046 have an exhaust stratified charge vs an intake stratified charge found on the newer saws?

They make a lot of sense for felling, but I mostly do bucking and limbing, and the trees I fell are not usually that large, so sometimes I will just use the top of the bar for the back cut, etc.

I do own a wrap handle for a 660, and may install it sometime, but I think it may also get in the way if I'm milling.

The reason they make different saws with different options is so we can all choose what works for us.

If I did a lot of felling of large trees, I'm sure I would have one.

Even limbing and bucking it allows you to have hand positions that may not be possible to safely be out of the way, when limbing you can flip the power head side to side without having to leave the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can the MS-461R be ordered as the powerhead only? My local dealer is pretty clueless so figured i'd try to ask the all knowing internet :dumb2:

Usually you can order just a power head, B+C are extra (with various choices). However, 461s may currently be limited to stock at the wholesalers, I think the 462 is replacing them.

IMO, the 462 is a real nice saw! Lighter, same power, spring AV, clean air filter tech and M Tronic (you don't need a tuning screwdriver).

I have 2 of them (both ported), but even the stock ones exceed the advertised 6 Hp on the dyno.

Usually you can order just a power head, B+C are extra (with various choices). However, 461s may currently be limited to stock at the wholesalers, I think the 462 is replacing them.

IMO, the 462 is a real nice saw! Lighter, same power, spring AV, clean air filter tech and M Tronic (you don't need a tuning screwdriver).

I have 2 of them (both ported), but even the stock ones exceed the advertised 6 Hp on the dyno.

I just bought one! .. It's all I would care to use anymore, that's kinda what started this "Selling Evevrything" post without much thought!!!!

Just some PNW eye candy. The saws that is. Picked up the 500 3 weeks ago at my local dealer 7 minutes away. Was on the shelf with bar and chain mounted next to another 500 PHO . I was there 15 minutes they had a bunch in stock and selling well. The 661 I bought at the famous Madsens an hour away. Can you tell how happy I am with the 500.20201114_134025.jpg

Back