MS462 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddBomber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 2020 ms362c and ms462c. A little while back, I noticed that the exhaust port on the 71cc 462 is almost diamond shaped and definitely smaller than the traditional shaped exhaust port on the 59cc 362. That always struck me as strange. I ran them with only a mm. Both are incredible saws.
I recently blew the dust off of my '08 ms260 that I ported.... mildly. It rips, and I realized how much I miss ported saws.
I guess my question is; are any gains felt from rounding and widening the exhaust port on a 462? And are there any threads about porting one? I've never messed with a strato intake, but have ported both a JRed 2071 bb and my aforementioned ms260, both with amazing results.

I guess my question is; are any gains felt from rounding and widening the exhaust port on a 462?
I have had my 462 over a year, but it doesn't very many hours on it - only about 10 cord of wood and a couple days of trail clearing. It is still completely stock.
About the only muffler mod I've heard about is the Bark Box, and a couple of similar modified covers. I would really like to know if there is a significant gain from
only doing a muffler mod? I've been quite happy running the stock saw with 28" and 32" bars!

I did wallow out the opening a bit, but noticed zero improvement in power or throttle response. Just a bit more noise.
I don't think it hurt anything, but it didn't do anything extra for mine.

About the only muffler mod I've heard about is the Bark Box, and a couple of similar modified covers. I would really like to know if there is a significant gain from
only doing a muffler mod? I've been quite happy running the stock saw with 28" and 32

Some guys have been waiting 2 yrs for a heart transplant. What makes you think your chainsaw is so important .lol
I'm just special. Lol.
Excellent reply and it definitely made my day. Thanks!!

only doing a muffler mod?
I'm very satisfied with this/these saws. I removed the baffles and widened the muffler port.
Stupid stainless!! Haha.
However, I was also very satisfied with the stock 2071....then I ported it. I'll never run a stock one again! Unless I can find one.... lol.
But heat is definitely an issue with these newer strato saws. So even minor a muffler mod will help with that.
I noticed the same.... Not much performance gained by modding the muffler.
Even the bark box gains only fractions of a second in real world cutting. Cookies are very over-rated.
My question pertains to the cylinder, not the muffler.

The 462 cylinder's exhaust port is so small!! Especially for a 71cc...
Don't get me wrong. It's an incredible saw, and had redefined an entire class. But, I'm still curious if anyone has opened up the strange diamond port and if there's actually felt gains.
Felt vs timed cuts.. is very, very different.

Straightening the exhaust doesn’t yield any noticeable gains.

The 462 cylinder's exhaust port is so small!! Especially for a 71cc...
Don't get me wrong. It's an incredible saw, and had redefined an entire class. But, I'm still curious if anyone has opened up the strange diamond port and if there's actually felt gains.
Felt vs timed cuts.. is very, very different.
I’ve tried it with no noticeable gains. But by all means, try it for yourself

Just because it's different(diamond shape exhaust) doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

The less a saw gains with mods over stock IMO the better the saw is to begin with. I've seen cut times increase with a muffler mod on the 462, it seems they did pretty dang good with this one. This is why the power to weight ratio is so good with the 462.

OEM's are getting better about getting more HP out of the saws from the factory, so aftermarket modifications are less useful. IMO one would need to do serious port work on a 462 to see serious gains over stock. Muff mods just aren't worth the extra noise on the 462 IMO. All opinion of course...I don't have numbers to back anything up. My 462 does the job I need it to do so I'm not interested in spending a bunch of money to get it zipped. At least not for the differences I've seen in video's.

I believe it’s all for sound Kev, if they had a longer muffler they could have twisted it after the port.

I widen the muff entry and mod the baffle, I don’t see anything bad about the twist.

They may not make a ton of gains ported, as in they aren’t quite as held back as other models, but the increase in power is very noticeable vs a muff mod alone. I run a ported 462 as my primary saw with no complaints.

Latest posts

Back